Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Buckman/ track workout/ Goals/ Columbia Tri

Ahhhh. A nice relaxing sprint distance tri. Right! I don't think I'll be wearing my jeans and riding a cruiser like I did at my last sprint in Florida.

(Zephryhills Florida Sprint Tri, March 9, 2008)

Looking at this picture, I still don't feel too badly for wearing the jeans. The woman behind me is wearing earmuffs after all!

We had another track workout this morning. It was probably the coldest it has been in the morning in months. 5:45 AM and 5 of us showed up! As you commented the other day Craig, I am very fortunate to have such dedicated athletes/friends to train with.

So now that I've done 2 track workouts in my life... I have to start analyzing.
Let me start with something Armando sent to us before the workout. The running calculator.
I entered my Tango Half Marathon time of 1:50:00. It then gives you a breakdown of the paces you should be capable of. I haven't downloaded this morning's workout from my watch, but I know that the Sprint workout times are right in line with what I'm doing. I guess that proves that I'm not sandbagging. Or if I am, I have some amazing ability to sandbag proportionately 13.1 mile events to 400m events. :-)

It then occurred to me I put some sort of list of goals together back in January.
8 months later I'm finally doing the "speed work" from that list.
Nice that the weight issue and the bike training actually happened.
That leaves me with Abs workouts if I want to complete that list. For some reason I find the abs workouts to be just as difficult to get into as the speed workouts. Maybe I need to talk to the others about joining in on that suffer-fest as well. Ha ha!
Seriously I just have to change my mindset and do it. I've started doing the sets of 7 pushup program again. I wonder how painful adding abs during the rest intervals would be?

On that post I listed 11 races. I had 3 Olympic distance races on the schedule. Looks like I'll be one short... and of course the Mooseman swim wasn't the full swim this year.
And although I didn't race that exact list, it looks like I might still get 10 races in this year.

Oh, I'm not sure if you've noticed that I added the Columbia Triathlon 09 to the countdown lists on the side of our page. That's because I'm registered already. Craig this is a good race to do if you want to see some Pros. Maija says it sells out quickly because it's such a good event.
Are you guys in?

7 comments:

m said...

We can do abs after swimming some days. Esther and I have done them on the weekend once before.

GC said...

I'm in for weekend abs. That is actually something I can do!

catmarlson said...

I didn't have time to follow up on the whole 10 races in a year thing.

Check this link out, 16 half iron tris in 8 months.

http://www.tritheworld.ca/index2.html

CSquared said...

Two weekends ago I did ribs, this is the abs of some creature. Does it count?

CSquared said...

I tried that running Calculator. Are you kidding me? I haven't run a sub 10K yet and it says I can go 48 mins based on my latest 5k race. I definitely am not running hard enough on the long runs.

CSquared said...

That was a sub 50 min 10K to clarify my crazy talk.

catmarlson said...

I knew what you were saying.

It's definitely a good chart to use to find out where you "should/could be" if you train for that distance.

I'm fairly certain I've posted this article before. I seem to remember stating that if I performed poorly in the races this summer I'd just say "I haven't found my distance yet".

Here is the NY Times article.
http://tinyurl.com/5bro83