Saturday, August 16, 2008

Something New: A Track Workout

I got a call from Maija on the way home from work Friday. She and Todd were thinking of doing a track workout Saturday morning. This is good, I always seem to skip my interval/speed workouts if I'm doing my own thing. I think the last/only track workout I've done was Jr High with "Coach", on the cinder track 25 years ago.
So we plan on a 6AM start at the track.
Surprisingly enough, I wake up 10 minutes before my alarm. Wasn't sure what to eat, yesterday I didn't eat enough before going to the pool... I had about an hour, so I took my chances with my oatmeal & fruit mix. That worked out well.

The workout was: (Maija can correct me on this)
4 laps 10K pace. (which you can see I ran faster than I should have)
4 laps 5K pace for the first and faster for each of the next 3.
4 laps all out.

I wasn't sure how I was going to do, but overall I'm pleased with the results.

I think it's funny how uneven my pace is during the all out set. I'm definitely not familiar with what I can do there. I guess I should have figured what "all out" really means. Should my pace be falling off at the end because I'm dying?

On the All Outs (9-12) What it looks like to me is #9,#10 are builds. #11 I thought I had good pace but it was slower. Then #12 I got back to putting it all out there but doubted myself and pulled back a couple times.
The graph also has me thinking it's time to reevaluate my HR zones. A year ago I would run all out and 188HR was the highest reading I'd hit. I hit 191 on that last run today and at the Mooseman I hit 196.
We are going to try for 1 track workout a week. I'm looking forward to it.

Oh, as for total miles with wu and cd 6.7 miles. I had thought it was less until I realized I turned off my watch between the warmup and the main set.

2 comments:

m said...

Well...it was suppused to be the same pace for each of the 3 sets of the 400's, but you guys did a good job. Next week we'll do a little bit longer intervals.

CSquared said...

Track, schmack. I really mean Awesome dude! I need to start this. The local high school track is always being used, but now the fair is over I can use the fairground track. It is almost a km around so it makes you feel better when you gets lots of laps in. Some of my interval stuff has to be from pole to pole on the track to do shorter stuff.

Keep it up. I am jealous you have a dedicated group to go with. Friends, Friends everywhere but none that want to run with me, at least locally.