Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Workout Options

This is one of the routines I did yesterday at the gym.

Crossfit dumbbell workout

I did 3 sets with 40, 50, and 60 pounds in each hand. Not quite up to the guy in the video, but I think I can get there.

As they say in the metatag, it's tougher than it looks. I've decided to try to do more deadlifts, squats and lunges in an effort to maximize my pedaling power, since I don't have many other strengths in this athletic endeavor. This routine is pretty good for the quads.

I tend to enjoy the workouts that involve using the whole body in realistic ways, which doesn't happen so much with machines. Of course the potential for getting hurt is much higher, but I like to think the potential for being functionally strong is much higher too.

I'm digging the kettlebell too. I'm glad I finally got to play with one. If I weren't in the gym, I would try more adventurous stuff like throwing it up in the air and spinning it around, but I'm afraid of dropping it. I gotta buy my own. The one at the gym I use is 35 pounds, but I think if I were gonna buy one, I'd like to go with a 50 pounder. Why duplicate the one I can get there?

Maybe I'll have to make a video about functional strength and put it up on YouTube. It would be more convincing if I had washboard abs, of course. Maybe when the sun comes out and it warms up, I'll burn off all my fat and make such a video.

1 comment:

catmarlson said...

I think I might be able to do this.
I'll start with 2 empty beer bottles for my hand weights. Work my way up to full ones...
Actually my biggest problem is low ceilings. Guess I'll have to get to the gym to do this stuff as well.