Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Settle down girls.

I realize K Bsquared is the reigning two time champion for the Women's relays but the guys team (yeah I know we need to work on our team name) has yet to lose to KB2.
Of course I hope that your team succeeds in winning for a 3rd year in a row but I think the guys team should be looking at the possibility of making the podium as well. Which may make it even more important that we have a really cool team name, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Looking at last year's results this is what we have.

13.1 mile run 1:40 13th place / 1st place was 1:11
20 mile bike 1:28 20th place / 1st place was 1:01
2.5 mile swim 1:03 14th place / 1st place was :50
Orienteering 1:45 13th Place / 2nd place was 1:06 (1st place timing was lost)
4.5 mile run :38 10th place / 1st place was :25
Canoe 1:13 5th place / 1st place was 1:06

Total of 7:47 which was good for 9th place.
Ultimate Relay Team from above times 5:39

Last Year's Podium

6:28 for 1st
6:35 for 2nd
7:19 for 3rd

So we are looking to take 28+ minutes off of our time. Or 5 minutes off of each event. Possible?
13.1: Jim had posted he was shooting for 1:35. That would get us off to a good start. (-5)

20 Mile Bike: Adam is a CAT 2 racer and he's got his hands on a cyclocross bike. I think he can to afford to use caution on the steep downhills with the potholes and still shave off say 15+ minutes? (-20)

2.5 Mile Swim: I wish I could say with confidence that I will match or better last year's swim time but I can't. I will also be pacing myself a bit so that I can run immediately after. Ugh!
I'm going to guess I finish 5 minutes slower. (-15)

7 mile Orienteering: Well the 2 years that I did this I finished in 1:43 and 1:44. I guess I get to find out how well I learned from Craig this year. Hopefully Jerry and I break even at worst. (-15)

4.5 mile Run: Jim ran this after orienteering last year. I'm guessing we pick up a few minutes having Marty run this as a stand alone event. (-20)

8 mile Canoe: Final Leg is always the deciding event isn't it? If we are truly in the race for the podium, we should have someone keeping track of who has left the canoe start. I know Jerry is looking to improve his time and he's done the homework to make that happen. Let's say Jerry and Todd improve a minute per mile here. (-28)

Tell me if I'm wrong. I think that depending on the competition we could be in the mix. It should be another exciting day.

5 comments:

Mjay said...

The way I see it the wild cards this year...Orienteering AND Canoe. Craig was a master at both so we shall see...

Very interesting analysis. I look forward to seeing what the "Adam Effect" will be! Very cool that he is coming along. Can't wait to see him compete on Sunday

GC said...

Yes, it would be awesome to see the boys come home with some hardware this year. As for the team name, Steve Austin brought you good luck last year at Skylands...just sayin'.

m said...

I think the "Adam effect" may be bigger than 15 mins but we will see! It would be cool to see you guys on the podium, even if it means you beat us.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to tango and I'll give the bike portion my best shot! I'm hoping I'll be able to survey the course ahead of time so I know what's coming :)

CSquared said...

I did a 1:23 in 2008. Only seeing pics of Adam and if he uses a cyclocross, I say 15 mins better than the 1:23 or 1:08. No Pressure Adam, and believe me I understand getting a flat. I was flying in 2007 before my incidents.

I would love a shot at the orienteering sometime without something else on my legs. The trip back down the hill is long.

The Canoe, I hope they get that min a mile. Tell Jerry I sorry not giving it a try with him. Keep the canoe straight.