Thursday, July 8, 2010

Definitely not by the book

Day 4 of the marathon training reads like this: Run the same workout that you did on Tuesday: 3 miles, comfortable pace. Follow the run by doing some stretching and strength training for about 15-30 minutes.
What really happened. 37 mile bike with Genine. Once around the lake, then out through Alexandria and over Cass Mill and 104 to the grocery store lot. Then back over Cass Mill to the beach.

Load the bikes onto the car, Genine heads to the beach, I go run my 3 miles. I haven't done many brick workouts. This definitely qualified, the first mile felt awful. Out on my run I came up behind a woman that was definitely on a mission. As I came up along side I said "now this is dedication" as it was probably 90+ degrees and we were running in full sun. She said that her husband gave up a few minutes ago but she had a goal and she had to get it done. It's great seeing stuff like this, I'm guessing she's in her 50's and had probably never had run a race in her life, but was obviously training for one. I was just glad to see that I wasn't the only kook out there because some schedule said that's what I was supposed to do today.

Got back to the beach, once again fell into the lake and cooled off. Swimming 50s and 100's worked out alright. When we went to swim the length of the beach. 400-500m? Genine had fins on and I wasn't anywhere close to hanging with her without fins. 2 laps and I was done. I've got some work to do before the Tango Swim. I'll have to come up with a plan next week.

No comments: