Monday, July 26, 2010

Long time between posts, But I won medal

Didn't run the Rainday 5k this year, but I did walk it. I placed 4th overall in the male division with a 40:14, I think. I was pushing Dinah in her stroller. The top walker was 36 mins something, so I was about 4 minutes behind, which amazingly is closer than I ever get to the winning run time. I stayed with a lady who I know does all the competitive walks around. I think I could have passed her at the end, but she said something earlier to me about getting beat by a guy one time pushing a double stroller, so I decided she works at this more than me, I will stay right behind her. I was the biggest cheerleader to everyone I knew running the race. It was fun

Tamara was very excited for me. She said I should walk every time, I never did this well in the running division.

Eleanor got 3rd in the female 8-9 category, 1 mile fun run. She faltered this year. Poor thing was just getting off a cold and had come back the day before from camp, always tiring. Levi actually beat Eleanor this year, but got smoked in his class. His fun was wearing an umbrella hat for the Rainday race. People loved it. I would say in order of cheers for kids it was the winner, the 3 yr old girl finishing last, then Levi with the corny umbrella on his head. Fun day.

Jumping subjects, I have always been obsessed with the large man's plight in triathlons. So, rather than look up my BMI again, I looked up what weight would make me competitive in a Tri. I found that competitive triathletes weigh from 2.1 to 2.3 lbs per inch of height for men and 1.8 to 2.0 for woman.

So, I am almost 75 inches tall, which means I need to weigh 172.5 lbs to be competitive. It recommended if I was 2.5 or more lbs per inch (or 187.5 lbs) that I should choose a flat course. In 2008 I was still 15 lbs over that . So, essentially until I get to 190lbs. I will be uncompetitive. I know the real figure is 172.5, but I haven't seen that weight since I was 17 and I think I was about 1.5" shorter then.

I had this discussion with Shawn the other day, so I thought I would post so he knows where he has to get to. Aren't you 6' 6", so 195lbs.

My apologies to Jim for not converting to Metric.

Way to go Chris Johnson! Hope you feel well today.

6 comments:

Regina said...

Were those your kids competing in the race? That is so great they are involved.

I had to laugh when I crunched the numbers for my ideal racing weight. on the low end it was 119.7 (HA HA HA!!!!! I think I weighed that much in the 6th grade!), on the top end: 133. Doable, only 7 lbs to lose, but not very likely. Although I guess I shouldn't discount it totally now that I am training for another HIM in October. Anything is possible (but probably unlikely!).

catmarlson said...

I've read many articles about pros taking years or racing and training until they "find their distance".
I think you might have found your race!! Just imagine if you had time to train for it.
I do like the psychological warfare the woman used against you to keep you from passing her. (double stroller.. likely story) heh.

As for you and Shawn fighting to be competitive in this sport. I realize this was a couple years ago but...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catmarlson/2626338655/in/set-72157605913764327/

CSquared said...

Yes, two of my kids ran(11 & 8), one rode (20 months), and one was out of town (14). Now you understand why I walked this race. No Training time.

Matt, point taken on competitive, but competitive with whom. I would love to see my name near the top for age, not size. hah! Once I can get back in the skinny jeans which I threw away 15 years ago, I will be there.

Mjay said...

Craig--
YOU THREW THEM OUT!!! For shame...

You could always squeeze yourself into those skinny jeans and head to Walmart...I see it all the time!!!

lol

GC said...

Pics of Levi in the umbrella hat, please. I'm sure he totally pulled the look off in style! :-)

Is the stroller 5k your warm up race for the Morgantown Sprint, Splash Dash?

And apparently I only have to lose 25lbs to competitive in triathlon. oh boy.

Jim said...

sorry Craig, I started in metric and converted to english for everyone else. 12.45 km/h :)