Thursday, May 31, 2007

I could be a Super Hero

I got my Aqua Sphere WT-80 swimming shirt last night. The tag said XL, but man it looks small. Threw it on. It stretches well, doesn't feel to tight but it is a skin suit. I decided to go with just a swim top for now. This top has Lycra on the shoulders and sides, and a .5 mm neoprene back and chest. I do not think it will make me faster like a full wetsuit, it will only keep me warmer in Rocky Gap lake (72 degrees). I have not tried to take it off wet yet. Will need to test it before then. This shirt should also function well at Kinzua for morning swimming or sun protection or fall protection when water skiing.

If this was a full wet suit I decided I would look like a super hero, not Superman or Batman, but the dad from the Incredibles, you know when he decided to come back into business after a hiatus. Shoulders and chest looks good, it is that little something around the waist.

Looking to go hard on the bike and run tonight, and try to squeeze in a weight train. Easy does it on Friday, then bricking it on Saturday. Then it I am going to taper. I am not the guy to train hard through an event and then use the event as a hard training day. I want to do a good time if I can.

Hey, Matt, have you ever tried honey for your allergies. Tamara told me honey, specifically honey that is harvested during the time of the year as your allergies assists in the production of antibodies to allow your body to combat pollen. I believe the concept is like a vaccine. Essentially digested pollen by the bees left in the honey is a weaker form of the pollen that is knocking you down. You get it in your system and it massages you immune system into functioning more effectively. Of course I don't know how effective it is once you allergies are full blown. Finally, avoid milk products. I know that sounds weird, but milk only helps produce mucus. My kids have drank very little Cows milk (more since they have been in Public School), when they have been sick even from infancy they produce very little mucus. If you think you need the calcium, I could go into a whole thing how milk is a net zero sum game on calcium because your body uses calcium to digest protein. It uses calcium already in your body. It then replaces the calcium in your body with the calcium from the milk. You should check into Kefer or eat more yogurt, because of the active cultures they don't cause your body to form mucus when you eat it.

I can't say enough about Vitamin C. I take two Emergen-C's (it is available most health food stores) every day, and usually two Vitamin C capsules, plus a B complex. The C is also very good for heart and as a antioxidant. I could go on but I will stop here. I attribute it to me not getting very many colds, Tamara's allergies are not as bad as they use to be either.

2 comments:

Casey said...

I'll leave the superhero thing alone.

I have heard of the honey theory. Someone at work swears that "local" honey is the ticket. Given Craig's explaination, this makes perfectly good sense to me. If you are trying to build up antibodies to pollen, you might as well be working with the stuff growing in your own neighborhood.

catmarlson said...

If I were to don the super hero suit right now "Captain Underwear" comes to mind...

I'm thinking the Warren trip is what did me in. I was outdoors most of the time and probably didn't take the drugs soon enough to deal with it. I didn't want to sleep through the weekend.
As for the honey. I'm more than willing to give it a shot. I should probably go on a quest to find some local stuff in NJ, PA and NH. It's certainly not going to hurt to try.
You forget how miserable allergies are until you have them again.
This round turned into a full infection in my lungs, nasty stuff. Has completely eliminated any thoughts of having a go at the Rocky Gap just for fun. After all these trips back and forth across PA, I'm going to need a break.
I'll have to find another sprint to do this year, I'm really curious to test myself out.