Tuesday, May 15, 2007

My air

I have the same problem as Craig, only in all three events. Today I decided I would do a "sprint" on my bike for a half hour, which is to say go as fast as I could the whole time. It was somewhat enlightening. I would say this was the most tired I have been since I started training. I did at one point pass a girl who was wearing bike shorts and had a Camelback on, so I felt like a real man at that moment (because she was obviously hardcore), but then she passed me back on the next uphill, which is where I just bog down like nobody's business. I never experienced any weakness in my legs; I just can't breate enough. I always feel like I'm dying. I did go really fast at one point, I'd say close to 40 mph, with the bike in the highest gear, and still spinning quite quickly. And this was the road bike, which has a bigger gear ratio than the mountain bike. So that was nice. If we could find an all downhill triathlon, I think I would do quite well.

Amy bought me a book for my birthday called Triathlon training in 4 hours a week, by Eric Harr. It is for newbies, and full of inspirational tales and useful info for people like us.

All I need is 4 hours a week. So simple.

1 comment:

catmarlson said...

The root of all the air issues is training the muscles to accept oxygen quickly. That way your heart/lungs won't have to work as hard.
From everything I've read there is no quick fix for this. It's just a matter of keeping at it.
It would be cool if we lived near each other so we could train together. This swim class at the Y is a heck of a challenge. I'm still feeling like the odd man out tho'. I think most everyone else there is from one company so they know each other well. I'm guessing that will change over time.
Anyhow, keep at it everyone!