Tuesday, May 29, 2007

New phase

I went to the bike store today and bought a new seat out of the half-price bin; one with the hole in the middle, and much nicer feeling than the one I had on my road bike. I had them install it and raise my seatpost, which I had bent my cheap Chinese Allen wrench trying to do earlier. I rode out of the store with the feeling of a light-footed savanna-dwelling creature, able to cruise across the grasslands at alarming speeds for hours on end. Unfortunately, I only had to go to the Post Office, which was about a mile away, but I went at lightning speed. My legs are now more correctly extended at the downstroke, and my tender bottom is suspended delightfully in a bed of comfort gel.

Earlier today, I attempted to run in my target heart rate range for 30 minutes. This was my first real attempt at heartrate training, and I am convinced it will be extremely helpful. I have never done this in my life, even back in high school track, which sadly was the last time I went on extended runs. So sometime in the evenings, I guess I will read some of the sites about HR training, and try to start employing those techniques. I just hope I can scratch out enough time every day to do something.

Battle on, boys (and girl?).

2 comments:

CSquared said...

Eric Harr's theory. Six weeks, four hours a week. That is only 34 minutes a day. Let's see that is only 11.33 minutes per discipline. Easy.

I read most of his book and it really looks like his training plans are for a sprint tri not an olympic one. Not too bad. You just need to double. 68 minutes a day only 22.67 minutes per discipline per day. If you quit checking the blog everyday you just gave yourself time for one discipline each day.

SJV said...

I think I might be able to muster 34 minutes a day, but there ain't no way I'm getting 68 minutes until I get rid of some of the things hanging over my head. I am behind on 2 projects, and it sucks. I am feeling a bit like a failure. I have taken on too much and I am not performing satisfactorily. I'm still being a good dad and husband, which should probably count for something, but the other people who need me to succeed probably don't care too much about that.

Anyway, I'll be totally thrilled if I can get 34 minutes in a day at my target heartrate. My goodness, my body hurts now. I realize now that no matter how much exercise I have been doing, none of it has been improving my aerobic threshold. So I'm gonna focus on that when I get my half hours of free time, and maybe do strength stuff in the five minutes here and there I find. I think I'm probably strong enough for almost anything that I need to do. I'm sure the steady running will speed up the weight loss too.

And hey, it only takes me a minute to check the blog. I can write a post like this almost as fast as I can talk! I am a writer. If I don't check the blog, I will lose motivation. Knowing others are suffering with me is a big help in pushing me along.

Okay, I could've done some push-ups in the time it took to write this...