Monday, May 21, 2007

Couples Racing

I just got an email from a woman who does triathlons with here husband. It is a multisport group in Morgantown here and if you post everyone gets the email. Well, that being said she mentioned that her and her husband missed taking third in the couples category by 1 minute, combined time. The category was listed as "couples <80". I thought that is strange how many people do they have doing it over 80 years of age. So, I went to the web site and saw they had a "couples 80+". So, I check out the times. I was floored how could one 80 year old person do that time, and his wife did this time.

I know I am an idiot. The 80 is a combined age. It was a long Ohhhh, once I realized this.

It got me thinking. An untapped category is Clydesdale/Athena Couple. If a Clydesdale is 200lbs. and Athena I think is 150lbs. Then the couple's category could be like > 350 and 400+. Take it a step farther and you could create a domestic partner category Clydesdale/Clydesdale. It could be >400 or 500+. Now we are talking about something Shawn and I could clean up in. Of course if you are 300 then maybe we could let your partner be 100lbs.

1 comment:

SJV said...

I have no doubt we could be one of the world's elite dual clydesdale domestic partner teams! We should at least create a blog promoting the idea of Clydesdale/Athena teams, which are probably people who generally need to be doing triathlons to stay (or get) in shape anyway. In Scandanavia there is an event called The Wife Carry (or something like that) and you basically have to carry your wife through an obstacle course. Large men were getting married to small women just for the week of the race...but that has become illegal. So if we want to do the domestic partner thing, we might have to all live together or something. And of course I would require both partners to be over 200 lbs. At least. In my book, that's hardly a Clydesdale.

I laughed at your 80+ thing too. I was in the same boat as you. I was impressed. Them old folks is fast!