Friday, May 18, 2007

More on the Tango

I e-mailed Thad this evening with all of our questions, at least the ones I could remember.

This is an interesting endeavor. I have been researching swim fins recently, and found some very interesting stuff. One thing of note is that monofins (one big flipper with both feet in it) seem to be the fastest thing going as far as open water swim records go, as well as freediving depth records. I am totally game for swimming with one of those, as I have swum like that for years anyway. I would love to see how fast I can go with a dolphin-like tail. Just so you don't think I'm out of my mind, I did set a course record in the Penn State Scuba Obstacle Course when I took a class in scuba (a few years back...). I have this hypothesis that I might be able to go faster than the safety canoe with a good set of flippers. I asked Thad if there were any rules about that, so I'll be interested in hearing what he has to say. If monofins are allowed, I will definitely be interested in the swim. However, if someone else wants to do that...I'm totally cool with it. I can always swim around on my own! If no one is jumping at the opportunity to do the canoe (which it doesn't seem like), then I will be totally happy doing only that part, as long as we can at least find a willing partner for me. If Craig bikes, I would assume he would be fresh enough by the time the canoe leg comes around. For some reason, this whole thing reminds me of building a team in Dungeons and Dragons. We need a fighter with a high constitution, and an elf with high dexterity...

On another note, following Eric Harr's advice, I have gotten my family involved and have instituted an evening walk for all of us every night. It's not too tough for me, but it burns a few extra calories and does work the legs and if I carry the kid on my shoulders then I get an extra workout. I have also begun in earnest the new summer diet (Volumetrics, with nuts), so the Spartan physique is on its way. By the time of the Tango, I should be under 250 lbs. I know, it doesn't sound that impressive, but for me that will be nice.

No comments: