Friday, May 11, 2007

Swim feeling better

Just so my last little rant is not the prevalent post, I'm posting again.

Saw the work Matt was putting in the swim. Sounds Painful. I feel my swim is getting stronger, but I definitely am lacking motivation to push super hard in the swim. The first 100yd I feel great. Body position is strong, arm stroke feels good. Then it falls apart, not totally. But in the longer swims my form is awful after the first 100.

The pool I swim at does not have one of those handy monster clocks on the wall that you can read your lap time off. Also, I only own analog watches, which is hard enough to read when I'm running, impossible to read when swimming. I went to analog watches when I walked into a grade school and saw a digital clock on the wall. I attach this to the dumbing down of America, even though I know in reality it probably has no effect, and is a sign I am getting old and set in my ways. I always digress.

So, it makes it complicated to determine how much I am slowing down when I swim more than 100 yd. I only have an opportunity to see what my total time is. I will need to break down and buy a digital watch. I have seen a Timex iron man watch that is digital as well as analog. This would also be helpful in the run when I lose track of which minute I just passed on my analog watch.

Jumping subject somewhat, I saw that the Rocky Gap Triathlon has a Clydesdale division (210+ lbs). I think it may not be as much of a division as they award a plaque to the fasted "BIG BOY". I have not seen where they award the top three, just the first. I am still well into this category, so here is some motivation to go faster. I also am having trouble taking the weight off this year. Last year I was under 220 at the end of the summer. I then proceeded to put 10lbs on over the winter. Now I am currently maintaining 225. The only thing I can figure is that I do more swimming and weight stuff, which I hope is increasing my muscle mass. I feel good, but it would be nice to be lighter.

Interval run last night. Ran a warm up, then ran hard pace that I could maintain for 1.5 minutes. Then jog 1.5 minutes. Repeated 6 times. Then ran cool down home. Hope to do a interval once a week. Next week I plan to do 2 minutes hard with 1.5 jog. I hope to get to 3 minute hard run a week and half before Rocky Gap. We will see. This should help my run. I also will run two other times during the week, with a good hour run on the weekend.

The bike I have been trying to get on at least once a week. Next week I need to start twice a week with one being a hard 10 mile bike and the other being a 20+ mile ride.

Will let you know how the plan progresses.

1 comment:

SJV said...

How am I supposed to compete with a skinny clydesdale like you? My last two weeks have been terrible too. Amy is anxious to have me back to my normal carefree self, and able to do housework too (I think that's really what she's looking forward to). All I have done for exercise is bounce on the trampoline with Fiona which isn't too tough physically. I am dragging my finals out past the end of finals week, and I have another class at the end of May. I have a feeling I am not going to get that sensation of obligations letting up anytime soon.

June and July are going to have to be the big winners for me. I gotta lose weight and get some endurance workouts in. All I do is strength and low-speed endurance (such as carrying weights while walking). My forearms are ripped right now from all the dumbbell tossing and long walks with those things in my grip. I haven't swum at all yet, and I still find running to be abominable. Ah well...we all do what we can. I am not a Spartan yet.