Tuesday, May 25, 2010

How'd you do?

I'm back at work today and everyone keeps asking how I did at the race. After re-reading my race report I'm not sure you can tell that I really enjoyed the race. I'm just that bad of a writer I guess.

The course was challenging but it was a very nice setting.

Swim: Wasn't the best water clarity but not the worst either. I really liked the layout, I had no trouble sighting. The 5 foot tall buoys were certainly easy to spot. As a spectator you can watch a good portion from a side perspective. Typically the swimmers swim away from you and you can't tell what's happening. (kind of like endzone seats at a football stadium). Here you had 50 yard line seat and you could walk along the lake if you wanted to track someone.

Bike: This may have been the first time since my Patriot's Triathlon disaster 2 years ago, that I didn't ride/drive the bike course before the race. I figured this event was organized well enough that I wasn't going to have trouble knowing where to turn. I was right about that. Plenty of people on course directing the racers. Very scenic course to ride and plenty of terrain to keep you busy.

Run: You run around the lake in the park and through a bit of the surrounding neighborhood. All very nice. Plenty of water/gatorade on the course. Great layout for people to watch the finish.

I am more than pleased with my swim and bike results. I guess because I've done so many running races this year I was expecting a little better. I'm still really fascinated by my low HR during the run and the fact that I actually had a sprint in me at the finish. I guess the next time I find myself in this position, I need to attempt that sprint earlier on in the run to see if I can get the legs moving earlier in the race. I don't think I've ever had this problem before. Maybe my new bike fit has my legs working differently enough to have caused this. Maybe I just burnt myself out on the bike. Maybe it's just a really hard run course and I'm 10 pounds heavier than I should be, ha ha!
Honestly, I think I had forgotten how hard the run is after swimming and biking. I haven't done a single brick workout this year to help remind me. Now I remember! (Remind me next April that I need to start adding bricks in early.)

I definitely see myself racing this event again. I really appreciate events that are run well. It allows you to compete without distraction or worry of safety.
My only disappointment was the post race food. I think that's because Keith Jordan up at Mooseman and Timberman has spoiled us. :-)

11 Days to Mooseman! Not much time to recover/workout/taper. I'm curious to see how well I can get myself feeling recovered and rested. Can't wait to swim in Newfound Lake!!

2 comments:

Jon said...

Congrats on the finish! Are you doing the International or Half Iron @ Mooseman?

catmarlson said...

Thanks, it was a really good event. I know it's kind of short for you. You may want to look at the Half Full Triathlon as it's at the same venue.

I'm doing the international distance at Mooseman.
I wasn't too interested in the Half Iron Bike at it was originally a 2 loop ride. I really like their plan for the 2011 half iron bike course. That might draw me into racing the half next year.