Saturday, May 15, 2010

10K Central Park UAE Healthy Kidney

Fantastic weather for races!
I woke up at 4AM to see Genine and Maija head off to their triathlon. Then went back to sleep. Todd picked me up at 7 to drive into the city. Nice enough to have the top down in the Jeep.
Todd has started his marathon training so this is day 5 or 6 in a row of running and tomorrow he has an 11 mile run. So he plans on pacing the run.
He asks what my plan is and I told him my goal was to stay out of the suffer zone. Which means my HR should hang around 180bmp. I figure that will equate to about a 7:40 min/mile pace.
This is my practice run for next weekend's Columbia Triathlon. After all those 4 mile races, where I go out speedy and just try to hang on. This time I want to hang in a zone where I think I should be able to run comfortably and then towards the end, if I happen to feel strong enough to push, I'll push.
I also have another trial happening. I bought some waterproof tape to use on my feet. I want to see if it will stay in place if I run without socks. Typically the inside of my heel rubs and the I'm bleeding the last couple miles of my triathlons. I did bring running socks with me. If it goes wrong, I will stop to put them on.
We had time for a warmup but it sure was hard finding room to actually run. Also I drank too much gatorade on the way in. So I spent much of the time standing on line to take care of that before the race.
Todd is in the corral ahead of me. I tell him that I'll try to catch up. (not likely).
Horn sounds and we are off. Now to execute the plan. I hold back and don't have to bob and weave much to find places to pass. Just going with the flow more or less. Half a mile in I check my HR and I'm around 170. Kind of low but it's early.
First Mile 7:43 min/mile. HR Avg/Max 169/179.
2nd Mile 7:31 min/mile. HR 179/184.
The tape on my left foot feels like it has come off and it's now balled up under my heel. Right foot everything seems to be in place.
3rd Mile 7:28 min/mile. 185/186.
4th Mile 7:48 min/mile. 184/186.
I guess I was wrong about the tape on my right foot. I've definitely torn the skin on the inside of my right heel. I was hoping that I'd feel that I was having a problem, so that I could stop and put my socks on before it broke the skin. No such luck. I still decide to stop and put on my right sock.
Not sure of my "transition time" 10-20 seconds? Once I start running again, I become very aware of just how comfortable socks are. Then I realize that I get to run by Mr Flipper Feet again. This guy's every foot strike was so loud, I could only imagine it possible if you had some sort of flippers on for shoes. It sounded painful but he didn't seem to be bothered by it. Anyhow...
5th Mile 7:56 min/mile 173/183. (that sock change didn't hurt me too badly)
6th Mile 7:25 min/mile HR monitor not functioning.
Final Push 1:29. Kind of disappointing not to have my HR stats here. I didn't go all out but I did turn it up.

Official chip time. 47:22 7:38 pace.
1499 of 7826 overall,
1298th of 4100 Men,
245 of 753 in my Age Group.

I meet up with Todd he asks how I did I thought I had run 7:33's and he says I may have beaten him. He said he fell off for the final 2 miles (he's run almost every day this week). I just checked the website to see if he was telling the truth or not. He's a modest guy. He beat me, by 2 seconds. That will teach me to run sockless and add a transition to my run!
I plan on taping differently on a run next week to see if I can figure this out before Columbia Tri next Sunday.

Awesome, fantastic, wonderful day for a race. I hope the weather for all my races this year are this nice.

Edit: One more thing I just looked at my result for this 10K course from back in April. 47:17 vs 47:22 today. Yes I stopped for a few seconds today but the bigger deal to me is that this was a maintainable paced run today. That effort back in April I think was less comfortable that today's.
It's amazing how similar the mile splits are tho'.

Edit 2: Todd had to get back to NJ quick so I missed out on this bit of news. The winner broke the course record today. Which means he got a bonus $20,000 on top of the $7000 for taking first. He ran a 4:28 minute mile pace, finishing in 27:42.

No comments: