Monday, May 3, 2010

Always something

My brother called me on his way back from our summer place in NH. He said the black flies are awful but he got a good bit of the mowing done. Which is nice seeing how mooseman isn't too far off and we have 3 friends going up to race with us this year.
Later in the day, he calls me again. It turns out that our cousins that own the place along with us stopped by the house today as well. They were going to get the water pump going and stuff like that. It turns out that someone broke into our basement and the cut out all the copper piping and electrical. Ugh! It's sad that someone is that bad off that they need to steal copper to sell to a scrap yard. I know it's expensive now but it's not gold (copper is less than $3 a pound). I guess it's just simple to sell. We are not the only ones dealing with this.
Scrap Metal
Stadium Lighting
More Stadium Lighting

I realize those stories are a few years old, it's an ongoing problem. People being out of work doesn't help. All in all, I'm glad that they didn't do more damage.
I'm not sure what the repair schedule is going to be. Hopefully it can be taken care before Mooseman. Not the end of the world if it isn't, it will just be a little less convenient.

2 comments:

Mjay said...

that's a shame! You are right though...at least they didn't damage anything other than plumbing/wiring in basement.

SJV said...

Sucks, man. That happened to me with the building in Pittsburgh too. The repairs are always so much more expensive than whatever money they can get for causing the damage. It almost made me want to set up a plan to pay them directly to not steal my stuff, but unfortunately that wouldn't work either.

It is interesting that they stuck to the copper in the basement. It's almost as if they have a code of ethics or something. "We're not here to destroy the house or steal the pots and pans. Just grab the good stuff that's out in the open and we'll get out."

What's going to stop them from doing that every year now that they know where this empty house is? (Eric and a .44? Yay, America!)

Maybe the economy will improve and the house will be less interesting. Hope so.