Thursday, January 14, 2010

Run Course

If I run from my house, I really only run variations in distance on the same 3.1 mile out and back. I'm sure many people would find running the same road over and over incredibly boring. Yes, it can be but has been a very safe run route for me. I thought tonight was going to be the end of that streak. About a half mile from the house, a dog started barking and running right for me. It was dark and I couldn't see the dog very well. The owner was yelling to me "she doesn't bite!!" It was a sizable dog headed my way. I decide I'd better stop running and get ready to tell the dog to "go home!". I wonder if I would have had the nerve to do that had it been light out and had seen that it was a pit bull headed my way. Fortunately the dog stopped in it's tracks when I shouted "go home" at it. The owner grabbed the dog and I headed off. I think the owner lucked out, if I had reacted differently towards the dog, that could have been a bad situation. I think Craig wrote on this blog about the yelling "go home" at the dog trick. Thanks for that Craig.
Oddly enough 2 miles later. I'm running across the vacant ballpark parking lot and a fox goes running along "beside me" 30-40 yards away.
Then another mile later I just about jumped out of my shoes when I hear an explosion behind me. I was about 300 or so yards away from Interstate 287's overpass when a tire blew out on a tractor trailer. I wish I had my software setup to download my HR data from my watch. I'm sure you'd be able to spot exactly when it happened.
Other than the bit of adventure on what is typically my boring run course, it was a great night for a run. It was 28 degrees with zero wind.

2 comments:

CSquared said...

I usually yell "go home", but I have been known to throw a handful of small gravel in the dogs direction. Usually I only do these things because I am worried the dog is near the road.

"It was 28 degrees with zero wind." Wow, you know you have some endorphin issues if you can write this and enjoy being out in -2 Celius weather. Or its like living in Alaska where the kids get to go out for recess when it gets to -18 Celsius. They stop my kids from going out around 3 Celsius. (That paragraph was for Jim, he loves it when I get all Canadian in my measurements)

catmarlson said...

I guess I haven't commented on the running tights I bought on closeout awhile back.

http://www.desotosport.com/products/product.asp?Category=winter&ProdID=FT

These are much much warmer than my under armour running tights. They are almost too warm when the temps are in the mid 30s (Fahrenheit)

I've made a point of weighing myself pre/post workouts. I lost 3 pounds running in the cold last night... Maybe if I went out in shorts and a T-Shirt I wouldn't sweat as much?