Monday, January 4, 2010

Anything is Possible


Rather than decide upon resolutions that most often end up being broken thus resulting in disappointment, I've decided to adopt this mode of thinking for 2010. After all, it's really true. I honestly believe that the only thing stopping us short of achieving our dreams is ourselves. If you want something...REALLY want something and pursue it with passion anything is possible. I mean who would have thought that I could ever swim a mile in a lake?! But I wanted to race Mooseman bad enough to overcome my fear of swimming and pain from running to make it across the finish line last June. So now I'm thinking to myself, "What are my dreams for 2010?"..."What do I REALLY want?"..."What is possible?"

Aside from the goals I have for home & work (which are many), I have a few racing goals that are running through my mind. The one race I know for certain, of course, is Mooseman. I am already registered. I need to look at my results from last year to see what I will set my goal times at. I'm looking forward to improved swim & run times for certain. Tango is also on the calendar, I'm just not sure what legs I will be doing. More to come on that.

Ok, if you are not already, now is a good time to sit down. I am about to make public my crazy, "out there" dream for 2010......... Timberman Half-Iron. What?!?! (I told you it was crazy!) I am confident that I can do the swim and the bike. Yes, I just stated that I believe I can swim 1.2 miles. That alone is amazing to me. I've already done the bike course with Matt last year and loved it (which is the catalyst behind this whole thought process for me). It all comes down to the run....hmmmm. I can say that I made significant improvements on my run throughout the season last year. But enough to complete 13 miles...after 56 miles on the bike? Can I train wisely enough over the next 8 months to build my distance without breaking my hips? Can this dream become a reality? I would like to think that I can. After all, anything is possible.....if I really want it. Right???

4 comments:

Mjay said...

Yes...Yes....Yes you can!!! Anything is possible...I believe in you.

Jim said...

As well as you ran 6-7 miles a few weeks ago, I think you could run 13 right now (although your hips may hurt tomorrow).

Remember, ice is your friend!!

Good goals!!

PS- I'll be at a conference during the Iceman/Mooseman. Thank goodness because swimming in water colder than bathwater does not seem appealing to me.... at ALL.

Any news from you,.. Michelle?

GC said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm getting ready to "press the button" and register this week. Then it's for real...no backing out. I've looked up the Hal Higdon 13mile/12week training plan. Seems reasonable. We'll see.

Jim- I'm sure I'll be seeking some on-line consultation in the coming months. Which you always offer so generously...thank you!

PS- A "conference", eh? I still say Mooseman is in the perfect spot on your training calendar for your half in July. I'll buy you some neoprene booties so your feet don't get cold. ;-) Ruth highly recommends them! Right, Ruth?

Unknown said...

Go for it Genine! ANd yes those neoprene booties are worth it. You're welcome to borrow mine since I won't be doing Mooseman :(
However I'd like to put this race out there. It's a fun 5k race to raise money for the zoo. Last year is was the gorillas, this year it will be the tigers and you get to stay at the zoo afterwards

Any takers?

http://e.wcs.org/site/PageServer?pagename=RFTW_homepage