Friday, January 22, 2010

Marathon Results

I finished! I ended up running a 4:27:52 to finish 118th of 186. Felt much better than the results, but I was really happy to finish and feel pretty decent.

It did stay dry for the first half of the race and then like a switch, ...it rained almost the entire last 13.1 miles. I wanted to changed to a lighter shirt at the halfway point and was unable. About 2 miles later I was very thankful I hadn't but also wish I had a jacket. I ran 1:52 for the first half marathon and shortly thereafter began my mental struggles. As a result, I had several thoughts of quittting ( mostly fears from the last marathon re-surfacing). Then I'd convince myslef I was in good shape and I'd run 8:30 for a mile. I ran the 19th mile in 8:15 and felt great physically. But, I would still have to alternate running/walking the rest of the way in because of the head games I was playing.

So, ultimately I'm very happy to have made this step and did it while feeling pretty good. I ran 2 miles 2 days later and felt a little heavy but ran about 8:30 per mile. This made my 17th completed marathon in 13 states!!

4 comments:

Mjay said...

You finished Jim. Good job. Now you know you can physically finish so hopefully your head will get behind your body for the next run! The past is behind you know...sunny road--flat and straight ;0) ahead!

catmarlson said...

Very cool. Sounds like you needed someone to run with you to keep your mind off of the run.
17 Marathons! There is a good chance I'll never get to that number. (I should probably try one some time eh?)

I'm curious did you manage much more hydration? Did it cause any breaks along the way?

CSquared said...

I think Matt just volunteered to run with you on your next marathon. Him and I could split it up, but I don't know if it would be helpful for you to be constantly reassuring me that I almost done with my half. "Come on Craig, you can make it, just one more mile"

By the way, awesome. Keep it up. 17, huh. I don't know if I would have enough good years to catch you, even if you quit now, which it doesn't look like your going to. Yea!

Jim said...

I would enjoy that if each of you ran part with me!! I'm glad you both volunteered.