Friday, January 1, 2010

Pareto principle

Ah the new year. Time for goals and resolutions and reflecting on the year or decade past.
2009 was an enlightening year for me. I read some really good stuff which really helped me learn about myself. In some there were suggestions as to how to improve yourself. (can't say I was too successful at making those changes, ah well...)
Well I came across this article the other day. Jack of all trades. That is definitely where I live, so I found the article to be really interesting. Of course, I think part of my job requires me to do a ton of stuff well. I can't just do one thing perfectly and that's it. Anyhow, I was thinking about how this could apply to our training as well.
Give it a read. Let me know what you think.

3 comments:

silent_scream said...

the article poses an old but pertinent question "do one thing really well or many things adequately?" I've thought about this always since I also feel I lack focus. I seem to like everything and want to know about everything. I take on a million projects and end up finishing few and yet I've reconciled this as my "passion" for learning. I think it's just as valid as any other passion and I also have discovered my interest in pedagogy (which makes sense) Why do I not teach? Well my passion for paying the rent overrules any abstract passion.

I also believe not everyone knows right away what they should focus on. Some are very fortunate and know this right away, some when they are children. Others need to experience and be exposed to many different things before narrowing down their focus. But I pose this questions. What if gaining new knowledge and trying new things are what I find most interesting? Perhaps I should be doing R&D still, but I did, and got burned out...so I don't know...the quest goes on.

silent_scream said...

I also realize I should take an interest in spelling and English grammar but that's down the line...

catmarlson said...

Well said Ruth. I thought this part was very interesting.
"you might be able to learn 80% of a skill in 20% of the time it would take to master it."
My first thought when I read this was that just says I'm lazy and I'm only putting in 20% effort. Yet if you aren't in a situation where you have a teacher or someone to answer your questions, it's really hard to take it to the next level, mastery. At least I feel that applies to certain types of academics/studies.
Now when it comes to more physical studies, say playing an instrument or swimming (ha). I think some people think you can just put in the time and get better but I think it's nearly the same. Obviously there are exceptions, there are those that are just gifted. Jerks ;-)