Monday, January 25, 2010

Jim's swim watch

I went to the Warren Y on Monday with Jim's new swim watch. The swimovate, pool-mate swim computer. We had run on Sunday and he was curious to see what the results of the watch would be when I swim. So I had picked out a workout that I thought would be interesting to see the results.
warmup 300m, then paused the watch for 8x75 kick, drill, swim, watch back on for 300m.
4x50 race pace 15 second rest.
600m swim 30 sec rest
4x100 race pace 15 second rest.
Then I got booted out of the pool the next class was starting.
So I went to the locker room. Got the directions out for the watch to see how it did. I did see that it accurately counted the number of laps. Then when I tried to get other information, I ended up deleting the workout.... Maybe I really didn't get the menu structure. If not, it seems to me the design of the software needs to be modified a bit. First off I don't think the Erase workout should be the first menu that shows up when you hit the mode button. Second, how about an "are you sure you want to delete your workout" warning. I may be being too quick to judge here. I'm guessing once you know how to use it, you wouldn't make this mistake.
It's really too bad. I should have stuck with my original plan, which was: Give the watch to Jim with the workout saved and let him tell me the other details. Sorry Jim. It did count the laps perfectly. It also seemed to be doing a good job with stroke count, which is what I was so curious to look at... :-/

2 comments:

catmarlson said...

Guess I should have watched this video rather than trying to read the user guide.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEapnoI7Xsw&feature=player_embedded

Jim said...

I'll have to check it out. No problem with erasing it,... you didn't erase my data. That was nice of you!