Friday, January 15, 2010

Off Topic.

I’ve been reading Steven Erikson’s “The Malazan Book of the Fallen” Series. It’s definitely Epic Fantasy. I believe it’s going to be a 10 book series each being around 800 pages.
As I read through the second book I dog-eared pages when I came across something worth revisiting. I’m not sure how well they will read out of context but here they are.

“Strange how the mind’s eye can travel so far and so fast, yet return in an instant.
With that eye you might explore the entire world. With that eye you might escape it.”

Regarding your personal memories
“You dream that with memories will come knowledge, and from knowledge, understanding. But for every answer you find a thousand new questions arise. All that we were has led us to where we are, but tells us little of where we’re going. Memories are a weight you can never shrug off.”

Talking about the comfort of familiarity and reluctance to change.
“The tracks we have walked in for so long become our lives, in themselves a prison.”

Talking about your place in the universe.
“We are lone souls. It pays to know humility, lest the delusion of control, of mastery overwhelms. And indeed, we seem a species prone to that delusion, again and ever again…”

There you have it. I've really enjoyed the first two books. I'm glad I have 8 more ahead of me. It may take me through all of 2010.

No comments: