Thursday, September 11, 2008

Special day at the track

Ok- So i read about your last track workout... and of course was very inspired to go to the track.  Today was my last day on week 4 of the "couch to 5k" (moving onto week 5) so I was even more pumped than usual.  I thought about running without any socks in solidarity with Matt but then I thought, why? I don't even own a bike yet. My time will come.
 
When I got to the Riverbank State Park Track I saw that it was extremely crowded. On closer inspection I saw that none of the regulars were there, but a large group of people with color coordinated t-shirts. It was some sort of Special Olympics event. I was told that the track was closed for the next few hours and I could run around the park, which I did. 
It was a nice break from the monotony of the track, though the hard pavement was tough on my calves. I did some small ramps up and down and a few stairwells (my poor knees) After my trusty timex told me I was done, I decided to go back to the track to check out the action. 

I got there at the right time.  They were doing the 100m finals and were getting ready to do the 400m relays.

I walked around to try to figure out who these athletes were or what this event was. There were no signs at the awards table. Their t-shirts told me they came from different parts of the Metro area and represented several centers.  It was a low key, low tech event with lots of love and laughter to go around.  A young man told me he was going to "smoke the track." He and his teammates were pumped. Their coach told them they should jump around for some warm up and the giggles started. I found their laughter infectious. I had to see their relay race.

Ok- the 100m. Some of these guys were FAST. I was surprised at the age of the athletes, some were much older than me and yet, man, FAST.  

There were enough teams to have two relay races. The athletes received reminders on how to pass the baton (to me it looked like a drummer's stick) and that they needed to stay in their lane.  I saw the team I was cheering for, they had tied-dyed t-shirts and were from Brooklyn.

Someone yelled GO! GO! And everyone was off.  Some batons were dropped, some lanes were crossed, some athletes kept running once they gave the baton to their teammates, some started before getting the baton. Pandemonium in some lanes and yet, the cheers coming from the stands could not be any louder and the excitement spread.  
The teams that won blew me away. You could tell they had been training for a long time and really had their strategy together.  I was again reminded that with patience and perseverance anything is possible.  I congratulate all the athletes I saw at the track today and wish them success with their future training. 
As I was leaving a young girl waved to me and pointed to her t-shirt. I asked, did you run today? She shook her head and said, I'm going to try out Monday. You go, girl! Go! Go!

ps. I want to thank Ramon for offering me a medal. 



No comments: