Saturday, September 6, 2008

Rainy Afternoon in NJ

Genine went to her intensati class from 8-9. I checked out the weather report. Rain was going to hit us at about 2. It was hot and humid out, I really didn't want to go for my short run but I did. No Socks, when I think back to the Bassman race, I had a ton of sand on my feet and they survived that run. So I'm guessing it won't be a problem.
A big 1.5 miles, basically a warmup, stretch, then some quick race pace stuff to remind my feet what I'm expecting from them tomorrow. Then back to the house totally soaked, it's crazy humid!!!

Genine and I met Maija and Esther over at the Y just after noon. We did Maija's Pre-Race swim routine. Which I will have to ask her for, so I can post it.
Genine was doing really well. I have a feeling she's going to be faster than me sooner than later if she keeps at this. (not that being faster than me is some great feat..)

Spend a relaxing afternoon around the house. Of course if we get a bunch of rain in a hurry, I'll be curious to see if my basement gets water in it.
Next thing I know, Genine is telling me the roof is leaking, in the bedroom, onto the bed. UGH!! I had found out last year that the previous owner had the roof replaced and when the first rain came, it leaked into every room of the house. The installers didn't do any of the flashing!! So they came back and put tar onto all the seams of the roof. I found this out last summer when the roof leaked into our living room. So I went around and put new tar down everywhere. I'll be curious to see how it's leaking into the bedroom. I'm starting to think a new roof properly installed is in my future. $$.
Oh, So far no water in the basement.

There was no packet pickup today because of the rain. So they suggest to bring a flashlight tomorrow at 5AM. There will be about 200 racers.
I'm in the first wave, Maija is 2nd, Todd and Bob 3rd, Claudia 4th. Maija says there is 5 minutes between each wave. If I have a bad swim/T1, Maija could be on the bike before me. The 10-15 minute head start on the others might be enough that I can stay ahead. (I haven't looked at their results to know if I'm right or wrong about this) I'll try not to be too discouraged if I hear someone say "Hey Matt, looking good" as they catch me/pass me. Ha ha!
It's going to be fun either way. We are looking at going to a diner after the race. Then we will go ride the bike course for next weekend's race, Skylands. Genine and Maija are a team for that one. I haven't decided if I'm going to race it or just be the photographer for the day.

Genine will be taking pictures tomorrow, we will post them ASAP.
Oh, Majia is defending her title at this one. Good Luck Maija!!

3 comments:

esther said...

leaky roof sucks! good luck on your race tomorrow..don't forget to set your alarm to AM.

m said...

I was just out driving on the roads. There is debris everywhere! Hopefully we get to bike tomorrow.

See you bright and early (or dark and early with a flashlight in hand)

silent_scream said...

good luck maija (2012!!!!)