Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Saving Second Base

Much racing was done in NJ/PA last weekend (congrats to all of you!) and NYC was no exception. 25,000+ people joined me (cause I asked them) in the Susan G. Komen 5k walk/run in Central Park.

The best part was the pre-race peptalk by some very special guests (mainly because I was sitting down through it.) 

My favorite was Stephen Colbert who said "I hope I'm running behind someone who is very slow" and also (i paraphrase) "when you feel you're running out of breath, repeat my mantra 'I'm Kenyan, I'm Kenyan' ". Good and funny mantra. I also liked his Jazz rendition of the National Anthem. It was good!

It was a cool start. They had confetti for both the runners' wave and the walkers' wave. 
I started w the walkers since I knew I could not run the whole distance yet. I walked the first mile and saw a runner merge in with the walkers so I thought, well if one person is only jogging 1 mile, I can do that too. When I reached mile 2, I started my week 5 workout: 5min jog, 3 min walk times 3. 
I wondered how far that would take me. In the workout it says that 5 minutes should be 1/2 mile. HA.
I ran/walked a 16 minute mile! I know you're all shaking your heads. But hey, it was good for me. I jogged for 5 more minutes and walked for the rest of mile 3 (though I did jog across the finish line)

With the mile two workout, my total walk/jog time was 56.23. Lots of room for improvement :)

In mile 3, the woman who started next to me caught up with me, she had walked the whole thing. And a coworker told me today that her 74 year old mom walked the whole thing in 40 minutes. AWESOME. So yeah I'm also a slow walker.  But it's all good. I enjoyed the sights and sounds, zigzagging across a sea of pink and white and some very clever team names. This is a family blog so I won't illustrate. You'll just have to participate next year!

Keep it up y'all. You inspire me!










5 comments:

catmarlson said...

Awesome Ruth! Can't wait for the post that says... "So I bought my bike!"
Keep up the good work!

GC said...

Any running or walking is noteworthy in my opinion. Remember that every journey begins with a single step...no matter what the pace!

GC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CSquared said...

This is awesome! One piece at a time.

Keep it up. Your doing great. I would love to do a huge event like this. Mine usually only involve 100 people, tops.

silent_scream said...

I hope you do, Craig. I thought I'd be intimidated participating in such a huge event but it turned out to be the opposite. There are so many people that no one notices anything so I felt I could do my own thing, at my own pace without any stigma. It was nice (and there were lots of freebies afterwards)