Thursday, September 25, 2008

Car Shopping

Volvo died on Tuesday.  Radiator problem, which was really an engine problem.  Fixed the weak point in the radiator which caused the engine to fail.  Darn 1992 Volvo's.  You barely break 320,000 miles and they fail on you. Transmission is till good if someone is looking for a project car.

Matt drove it during the Tango, so he probably would tell you that I am right in just getting rid of it.  I love Volvo's, but based on the difficulty in getting parts and with baby #4 coming, which takes away from the weekend mechanic stuff, I am opting for a newer vehicle.  Locked in on a 1998 Toyota Avalon.  Same engine as my Sienna van, so I know how to work on it, hence learning curve is nil.  Also all leather, which I have started to really like.  I can spill a full Big Gulp on the seat and just wipe it off.  If this doesn't work out I am going to try to find a nice Camry in the early 2000 age range.

I would love to go carbon free sub compact, but 4 kids I need something that can haul people and a little gear.  I tried to talk Tamara into a motorcycle with a two person side car, but she is not too sure I can fit a baby seat in the sidecar.  I always have the Kids bike cart I can hook to the back of the motorcycle, I wonder if those wheels are rated for 55 mph?  

Family Vehicles - Van  WV Style





2 comments:

catmarlson said...

are either of those vehicles you gave us links to rated for 55mph?

I know the Volvo I drove at the Tango wasn't. Ha!

CSquared said...

"I know the Volvo I drove at the Tango wasn't." With white knuckles, any vehicle is rated @ 55.

The three wheel Wildfire is rated to 75 (yeah right), but the mini trucks, in USA, are governed to 25, but can achieve 50 with the restriction lifted.