Monday, November 12, 2007

VINNIE 10th in the World!

That is right! Vinnie Monseau, who is our local triathlon hero in Morgantown, took 10th in his age group over the weekend in Clearwater, Fl. It was the Ford Ironman 70.3 World Championships (Half Ironman Distance). Of course this is not counting the Pro's. He was 133th overall. His time with splits, the rank thing is where he was ranked after Swim/Bike/Run:

ATHLETE Monseau, Vinnie
RANK 504/321/133
AGE 38
SWIM 00:31:20
BIKE 02:17:41
RUN 01:21:56
TOTAL 4:16:41

I didn't know the overall Male winner, Andy Potts, but the guy I did know that was one of the favorites (pro) got DQ'd for drafting on the bike (I think twice, usually once you lose a little time, if you don't heed the warning you get DQ'd). The overall woman was an Aussie that I had met three years ago. Her overall time was 4:07:25. She was 57th overall. She can run. She had a 1:18:40 half marathon at the end (<6:00/mile).

Just keeping you updated on the inner heartbeat of the elite triathlon world.

2 comments:

catmarlson said...

Looks to me like he needs to work on his swimming. :-)
Do you happen to know how many races he was in this year? I'm just curious to see his "build" to some of these events.

CSquared said...

I can't tell you for sure. I know he does an early race schedule then backs off the racing late summer early fall to prepare for these fall Races. Something to remember is he just did Kona a month ago.

I know he went to Florida and St. Croix in early May, which is where he qualified for Kona & Clearwater. One was an international and the other was a Half Ironman. I know he also did the Eagleman 70.3 in June because it was the day after Rocky Gap and my neighbor on the bike rack was telling me she was going with him and his wife. He then did the Mountaineer 70.3. He cleaned our clock at the Sprint Splash & Spin. Finally he was at the Savage Man race in Maryland in September, but he only did the Swim & Run, and a guy I know did the bike with him. The bike was real nasty in that race, I think the run was too. So, by my count he did at least 3 Half's, an international, 2 sprints, & 2/3 of a half all before Kona. I was present to watch him win three of those races. Also, he doesn't usually race much before the big events.