Thursday, November 1, 2007

ITB Injury


Well now I've done it. I mentioned that I was having "shin" cramps two weeks ago. I took a few days off then ran 5 miles. Last week I ran a little over 5 miles, but it felt like my left leg was not working as efficiently. I couldn't put my finger on what was wrong, jut that the side of my leg from the knee to the shin was tired. On Monday I planned to run a shorter distance because of time constraints. After about 2 miles the pain on the outside my knee and shin started to get worse. It was as though I couldn't lift my left toes up fast enough and my left foot would slap down with every step. The jarring made my knee hurt worse. So after shambling down the trail for another half mile or so like a zombie in search of fresh brains, I slowed to a walk. Very shortly thereafter, the pain in my leg subsided, but if I tried to run it flared up after about a minute. Presumptive diagnosis illiotibbial band pull/weakness/inflammation/(cramp?). From what I've read, it seems like rest and lots of stretching is the key to recovery. I'm still not totally convinced that this is the problem, but from what I can tell it makes sense. Have any of you dealt with this? It's probably from upping my mileage way too fast. I guess I'll just try to swim and do the eliptical machine for two weeks till my race. I really wanted to do some more running before then, but it'll only get worse if I don't rest.

3 comments:

catmarlson said...

Wow, this is a bad week. I got an email from Jim. He's suffering from a calf injury.
Eric called me today he took a fall and injured his arms and hands (I expect we will hear more about this from him on here later).
I tweaked my mid back.
Shawn is being attacked by ticks.
Craig you might want to hide somewhere. Unless you are hiding an injury.
Anyhow,
Maybe I should have mentioned this earlier. I thought it would come out sounding like I was being a wise guy. So I didn't say anything.

Scott the Gmaps you have posted are almost 90% downhill. Downhill running opens up your stride. Over striding creates the shin and knee pain you are describing.
I was going suggest reversing your course. It's then a quick downhill and a long steady climb. Which I'm guessing would be a much better workout.
Hard to say, maybe if you ran all uphill you'd have a different problem.
For the record, when I run my loops (it's a figure 8) at the park. I do change course every lap just to have some variation. I certainly don't have a hill like your final climb tho'.
I'm still looking at Philly, I need to get some cold weather running gear tho'. Then again it could be 70 degrees mid November....

Good Luck on recovery everyone.

Casey said...

Long time no comment/post.

I too have self-diagnosed an ITB. Mine occurred during the Tango, but I haven't been to the doc yet. I have rescheduled twice, and have an appt. for next Friday. I have tried to run twice since the Tango and both times I barely made a mile before it flared back up. My company provides a trainer at the gym (yep, they provide the gym too) and he said stretching and strengthening is the only way to work it out. It can take months.

Good luck to everyone in recovering from your various ailments.

CSquared said...

I will comment here. The barrage of post comments has me disoriented. I see Shawnm just made a post to comment on the posts, but essentially that is what I did just prior. Now, where was I,... Yes, Scott, I have not had this injury, but I still have a toe that is black under the nail. I keep expecting it to fall off, but it stays on. I got this from running downhill, quite steep in some parts, for about 2.5 miles. I have avoided repeating this particular run. It was a 9 mile loop.

As a kid I loved to run downhill, as an adult (?), I now like to run on the flat as well as find a challenging hill. Downhill is actually an adventure on the carousel of unexpected injuries, so it seems.

Looks like Rest and fluids for you. Just take it easy on the adult fluids, especially on Sundays during the game.