Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Knee & Shoulder Update

It has been a while since I have chimed in. Since I actually have an update on my various injuries, I thought I would share.

First the knee. Last week my doc confirmed ilio-tibial band syndrome of my right knee. Nothing to do about it right now except what I have mentioned before, which is to stretch and strengthen and not run for a few months.

Now for the shoulder. It has finally gotten to the point where I need to do something about it. I am scheduled for a subacromial decompression on December 11. The link below is to a site that has an animation of the procedure. Scroll down a bit and click 'play'. You have to make a few selections to get to the right one, but it is pretty easy. The procedure seems pretty straightforward to me. The doc said I can expect to be back at work the next day, in a sling for 2-3 days, back to 90% normal non-physical activity in a week and back to the gym in 4-5 weeks.

http://www.orthorogerson.com/Education-%20Shoulder.htm

The family and I will be driving up to Warren on either Tuesday or Wednesday. I have class scheduled for Tuesday night, but I don't know if we are actually having it or not. My guess is yes. In any event, we will be in town after that and will be available for a visit to the Cornerstone. Friday or Saturday works for us. However, we are having Thanksgiving dinner with my family on Friday evening, so we may not be able to get away until after 9PM.

4 comments:

CSquared said...

No Giant needle this time. I think your getting soft.

Hope all goes well. Will include you in our prayers on the 10th.

catmarlson said...

I like the animations. Makes it look like it would be fun to have it done, doesn't it?

Good that you are moving ahead with this. If you are lucky, maybe it will help your golf swing!!

SJV said...

Maybe if this all works out, you can run the Tango next year on your hands!

Casey said...

I am totally soft. I do believe giant needles will be involved, but as long as I am unconscious, I say bring it on! the bigger the better!

And thank you. I really do appreciate the positive and uplifting thoughts. Every little bit helps.

Matt, the animations do make it look fun. I can't wait! Watching it makes me feel almost as optimistic as the surgeon with respect to my rate of recovery.

As pitiful a thing as it was, I can't wait to get my golf swing back again. Not that I want to sound like a whiner, but the right elbow is still an issue, but fixing the shoulder will get me a lot closer. I will settle with being able to raise my arm above my head again without feeling jolts of pain down to my knee.