Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Running Man

Nothing major to report, but I thought I would let you all know that I completed a run of what G-map pedometer claims is 6.8 miles tonight. While this is not unusual for some of the people on this blog, I believe this is the furthest I have ever run at one time. And I don't just mean since we started training. I mean ever. In my life. Not only that, but I did a 6.3 mile run on Sunday, and 2.5 on Monday so my week is looking to shape up as the most mileage I've ever done too.

I feel surprisingly good at the end of these runs; not really good, I should say, but I feel able to continue. It has been very encouraging because I now know I am able to run the running leg of the Mooseman. I wasn't sure I would ever get to that point. I assumed I would need to walk here and there to keep going. Well, I still may, since I will be much more tired when I start running, but I now know it can be done by me. And if I keep doing these runs, I will be all the more able to do it when the time comes.

On a gear note, I also found that my running shoes have been much more comfortable outside, where the terrain is varied, and the ground is unforgiving. I think my dedication to using them has finally paid off. I don't think I would want to try a six mile run in the soccer shoes, though I am still going to wear those during the other parts of my days.

Anyway, Thanks for the encouragement, people. Even though I'm still a tad overweight, I may be in the best shape of my life. The Tango could be within my sights.

7 comments:

SJV said...

I also discovered the reason that some people tape up their nipples. Wearing a heavy sweatshirt while bobbing up and down for over an hour will chafe any protuberances you might have.

catmarlson said...

Congrats on the running. I agree that it's nice to have covered the distance necessary for the race. It's just a good feeling mentally if nothing else.

Solo Tango or Tango, by the way?

Ah back to talk of chafing. My Reebok long sleeve compression shirt is easily my best running shirt. The others I bought "GearTek" from Kohls although they seemed like they would be ok in the chafe department, they are not.

catmarlson said...

Also taping is not an option for me unless/until I break out a razor. HA HA

Scott said...

Way to go Shawn! It is a great feeling to be able to cover that much distance. Hopefully I'll be in your shoes pretty soon.

I'm glad there is a bit of a chafe discussion going on here. I need to buy some outdoor running gear and I'm sure your raw nipples will end up saving me money (not to mention my own nipples!).

silent_scream said...

Congrats Shawn! You're certainly on your way. I'll use that as additional inspiration in my swimming workout today.

CSquared said...

AWESOME!

CSquared said...

I was actually inspired by you when you did the swim in the Tango. Of course I wonder who I inspired during the Tango. Pig headed idiots that enjoy self imposed misery. I definately was fighting for them that day.