Monday, November 26, 2007

Caffeine Free -- Again

Well, I decided to use the week I had off from school over Thanksgiving to get myself drug free again. Matt tried to convince me that Nutrasweet isn't good, and I am inclined to agree, so I decided to go off both caffeine and aspartame, as well as Splenda and any other non-nutritive sweeteners. Surprisingly, it worked. I have felt like tipping over and sleeping where I lie almost the entire week, and still feel like that today, but I do think I'm better off. In an effort to squeeze any remaining toxic molecules from my musculature, I ran 7.4 miles on Saturday, which I think is a new record for me, but that was the extent of my running for the week. I need more regular shorter runs.

I was considering coming up to visit the boys on Saturday, but as Matt mentioned, the gas prices are causing me to reflect on short jaunts like that a lot more. Not only that, but I ran out of heating oil yesterday (Sunday) and they don't deliver on Sundays so we froze all night. At $3.05 a gallon, and with a 500 gallon tank, you can imagine my excitement at hearing this news. Any word on that bio-diesel refinery we're going to build, Craig? Given that it is the Christmas season, every dollar we spend is precious, so I decided to stay at home and try to get some homework done. Sucks to be adults. When did that happen?

4 comments:

CSquared said...

I don't want to make you feel stupid, but couldn't you go buy diesel fuel, just a little to get you through the night. My understanding is the difference between fuel oil and diesel is the color and the fact you don't pay road taxes on the prior. You may already know this and only chose to be cold, of course you could turn your thermostat down to 65 (which you may already do). Ours keeps wandering up to 67, even though I believe they could survive with 62.

Bio diesel is going to be tough. The natural resource is getting expensive or most sources are getting locked up. The fast food restaurants have realized they can get something for the oil they use to throw away.

On another note I have heard that red beets produce 20% more ethanol than corn per weight. So, don't be surprised when corn fields in Iowa (Another Side note: California produces more corn than any other state) start becoming Beet fields.

CSquared said...

Oh, yea, good job on the chemical freedom.

Good old sugar. That reengineered crap is not the way God intended it. As Buddy said on Elf, "We try to stick to the four food groups; Candy, Candy Canes, Candy Corn and Maple Syrup." My kids quote this line for me, quite often.

SJV said...

Yes, I was considering going to get some deisel, but everyone here said they could handle it and it was only 45 or something outside at night, so we didn't have to worry about freezing pipes or anything.

As for conserving oil, we keep our thermostat pretty low. 60 during the day and 67 between 5PM and 10 PM, then back to 60 all night. When I don't have tenants, it gets even lower, like 56 degrees all last winter. But I feel bad making them pay rent when it's the same temperature inside as it is outside.

If we're not gonna make biodeisel, then I guess insulation is the answer. Seeing as how my geothermal estimates were about 20 grand, I figured I could make quite a dent in the heating bill by spending a quarter of that on insulation. Windows and doors, however, would probably make an even bigger difference, though not as cheaply. There are so many ways to spend our money!

Jim said...

Now 2 weeks later, are you still caffeine free?

I'd love to but seems next to impossible, love the mountain dew!!