Sunday, November 25, 2007

Back From Warren

I'll start by saying, it's disappointing to fill up a VW Diesel Golf and have it cost $40+. Diesel in Warren was $3.65. Amazing!
Fun Weekend of workouts. Went to the Y with my Dad got some laps in. Nothing big but I'm still recovering from that cold. After that I went running with Scott and Jim on the North Warren Trail.
Next day I met up with Jim at the Y to try and give him a few swimming tips. He was with his son once they left I stayed and put some laps in. Did better than the previous day.
Sunday AM I ran the North Warren trail again. This time I made a point of checking my watch against the Stenciled 1/4 mile marks on the trail. I think at the 1.5 mile mark my Polar Watch was at 1.53 miles (not too shabby for accuracy). After that the stenciled marks disappeared.
I had a stop a few times during this run. I was 180+ HR because I was really trying to open up my pace. I was closer to 8 min/mile much of the run but as I said after spending too much time above 180HR I'd walk to get my HR down to 170 before running again.

The other good part of this weekend was I avoided a ton of deserts. I made an exception for my Dad's cheesecake. I also didn't hold back on the Yuenglings!!

Anyhow, Hope everyone else had a great Holiday week!

3 comments:

Casey said...

Good job getting your running in over the weekend Matt.

Our weekend was great. But, I am sorry I didn't get to see anyone over the weekend though. We kept pretty busy running between the Humberts and the Nelsons visiting with aunts, uncles and cousins. Friday evening ended up running late with my side of the family, and I was just too stuffed, tired and full of Yuengling to even try to call anyone for a trip to the Cornerstone.

A few weeks ago my grandmother moved to North Carolina to live with my aunt. My brother and I are going to buy her house and convert it into a camp. It is located on Brown Run Road, just down from Jakes Rocks Road. It is an awesome location for hunting, fishing and Kinzua Dam access. It has been in the family for almost 100 years and we didn't want to let it get away.

The roof leaks really badly, so he and I spent all day Saturday putting on a temporary roof. By temporary, I mean 30# felt paper and firring strips at the seams to hold it in place. That was the cheapest option that we felt would get us through the Winter. In the Spring, we will re-evaluate and decide whether we can salvage the roof or if we need a new one.

Consequently, by the end of the day, I was once again too tired to even try to call anyone for a trip to the Cornerstone. We ended up having dinner at my moms with the rest of my side of the family again.

Then it was back to the Humberts to visit and turn in. We were up at 6 AM to make the drive back down to Richmond.

I wish I had today off.

catmarlson said...

I figured you were swamped. You have a ton of family to visit when in Warren so I understand completely.

I tried to find the house on Google Satellite maps. Couldn't find it. Very cool that you have a place up there now. Is it somewhere you would stay on any visit into town?

Casey said...

We were pretty swamped. We will not be going up for Christmas, so we felt obligated to spend a lot of our time with our families. As busy as we were, it was pretty relaxing as well. Schedules seemed to line up pretty well and we were all able to spend a lot of time together this year.

Eventually we would like to be able to stay there during trips home. There is a lot of work to be done first. In fact, most of the utilities will not be turned on again until improvements are made. It has been a while since I was there last and I hadn't realized how badly the house had deteriorated. Our goal is to have the place in good enough shape to stay there for hunting season next year. Down the road, we plan to put an addition on the back with a loft for additional sleeping quarters. We will take our time though and just make small, incremental improvements.

The actual house number is 503, but the mailing address is RD1 Rural Route, Clarend, PA. However, if you follow the link below, it should take you right to it. I zoomed in, so it should be the only house you see. You can zoom out from there to see where it is in relation to the rest of Warren.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=503+brown+run+road,+clarendon,+pa&sll=41.824037,-79.06826&sspn=0.045156,0.105228&ie=UTF8&t=k&om=0&ll=41.819664,-79.097853&spn=0.00066,0.001644&z=19&iwloc=cent