Thursday, September 6, 2007

Joined the Y

Well, our family joined the Y this week, and I have had my inaugural visit today. In fact I went twice. Fi and I rode our bikes a couple of miles to her ballet class, then I rode to the Y where I did some of the moves recommended in The New Rules of Lifting (Lunges, Squats, Twists, One-handed deadlifts, pull-downs). Once I had gotten enough of that, I rode the elliptical for about 15, then went to the treadmill for another 10, then had to ride my bike back to pick up Fi (My own little triathlon).

The second time, we went rock climbing. Talk about grip strength! My fingers and forearms are so toast right now. I expect we will be going tomorrow too, so I'll get another shot at the overhang. The rock wall is open 3 days a week, and Fi really seems to like doing it, having gone several times before joining, so I will probably get fairly good at it before too long. I don't know what value it has for triathlon training, but I know it works me over and I burn calories, so it can't hurt. It's good for balance and coordination too, and I bet there is a lot of core stuff going on if you look closely. Hopefully I'll be able to find time to swim and bike in there too. Looks like fun times ahead.

No comments: