Thursday, September 13, 2007

Feeling the effects

Last night it took me until I was 2.5-3 miles into my run that I finally felt like I was striding well. Up to that point I had tight shins or my lower abs feeling sore. Once I felt like I was striding well all that went away only to have the feeling that my knees were somehow being affected. They definitely felt warm at the end of the run. (no pain or stiffness the next day).

Craig mentioned on the spreadsheet today that he needs to find someplace where he isn't pounding the pavement. I'm guessing he also is feeling sore from stepping up the mileage, (or kilometerage in his case).

Having never trained at this level before I'm curious if this is just very typical symptoms of an attempt to take it to the next level. (Jim?).
Should I expect the beginning of my run to be somewhat tight? or
Should I be "warming up" longer before stopping to stretch and get into the "main workout"?
The one book I have mentions staying in the 60-65% effort Zone for 5 minutes or a warmup. That seems rather short to me.
Are there pre run exercises I should be doing that might help warm everything up so I'm not running tight during warmup?
I have a feeling that I'm lacking in the Warmup department. I walk, jog, stretch, then go into my run.

That book goes on to say not to exceed 70% effort until you are sweating, warmed up, loose and ready to go. That was to avoid the "Dreaded First Wind". Yet it sounds to me like that's just more warmup.?.?

Maybe Craig has something to add. I'm just thinking out loud here.

2 comments:

CSquared said...

I typically warm-up for about five minutes unless it is an easy day then I just use the first five minutes as the warmup. I stretch on "quality" days after the warmup. I almost always stretch after every workout, spending more time on tight muscles.

I know I feel best when my warmup gets me sweating before I get moving. I have also started to do some slow windmills with my arms after my running warmup to try to get more circulation to my arms, because I have had sore muscles in my arms after running hard. ???

My ankle stiffness is subsiding from last Saturdays run. My foot does hurt. I am not sure if my foot pain is from running (even though it was not comfortable on the pavement last night) or from standing in a boiler all day on Tuesday in a pair of boots I think I am going to throw away. My foot actually felt better 1/2 hour after my run then the 1/2 hour before the run.

I was comtemplating running on golf courses. I think this would be a great place to run especially for the FARTLEK I talked about earlier. I potentially could even run barefoot on a golf course. The only dilmena is, do they want me running on their course. I could wear a bike helmet and retrieve balls from ponds as a cross training technique. :)

Jim said...

5 minutes or until you reach a sweat is a very common warm-up protocol. It sounds like you are doing better with your warm-up routine than most of us. I follow a similar routine as Craig described ( except for I see how many cm's I can stretch instead of inches) :)

Roy Benson is a coaching legend and is very knowledgeable. I don't think I mentioned this, but the bible of all running and research books is The Lore of Running
by Timothy Noakes who has more advanced degrees than you can count on one hand. A great resource.

Basically, Matt, it sounds like you are dancing that fine line of pushing your limits, suffering form some normal responses to increased workloads while trying not to push so hard you get injured. That's part of the reason people "taper" prior to a race so that irritating aches and pains are gone and you feel fresh.