Monday, September 17, 2007

Cool Run

I wanted to start really working on my running since most of my focus has been on the bike. Last time I ran I couldn't keep my heart rate down and had to call it quits 30 min into it including plenty of walking. This morning I was able to keep my heart rate under control and kept running for 60 min with the exception of maybe 3-4 min of walking near the end and covered a little over 5 miles (G-pedometer). I wasn't fast, about 11.7 min/mile pace, but I wasn't dying like last time either. I'm sure the speed will come. I think the cool weather is helping as well. I was sweating, but not swimming in it like usual. I kept my heart rate in the 150s for most of the run which is better than spiking into the 190s like last time! The trick for me was finding a good breathing rhythm. Six steps for each breathing cycle. Once I put some more miles behind me I'm sure I'll get faster, maybe even catch Matt and Craig! We'll see.

The reason you haven't heard from me in a while is because I've been sick. I suppose the best part of that is that I actually missed working out while I was laid up. The motivation is definitely building as I start to see results. Today the scale showed that I'm down 5.5 pounds since I started getting back into training. 197 and counting.

3 comments:

catmarlson said...

I've been amazed at what cooler weather has done for my HR. It seems as if it's 10bpm slower. I can't say for sure whether it's because of a much less severe cardiac drift, or what exactly.
It's definitely more enjoyable tho'.

CSquared said...

I never thought about counting steps on my breathing cycle. I will have to check this out.

The cool weather is awesome to run. Anything above 40 degrees or less than 60. I definiately enjoy getting back home and not wringing the clothes out before hanging them up to dry.

The weight loss is great. It becomes somewhat permanent as long as you don't totally let yourself go over the winter. Of course I could lose your 5.5 lbs and still have you by 15 lbs. So, I fully expect you will catch up with me on the run. I throw that down as a challenge if you need something to aspire to. If you can be proud about beating an old fat guy. Ha.

Serously great job. The first time I tried to run after not doing it for a couple years, it felt like my chest was going to explode and the burning in my lungs was intense. I'm glad your body is starting to react well.

Scott said...

Sounds like a worthy challenge. Hopefully I'll be able to catch you by the Mooseman. I'll beat up whoever I can at this point. A fifty-something grandma passed me on my run this morning, so I guess I'll start with her. Once her hip gives out I'll come after you!