Monday, September 10, 2007

Feeiling Good after Hard workout?

I did a nine mile run Saturday. It was blazing hot. The first 7 1/2 miles was fairly flat or down hill. The last 1.5 was up. It was a loop. My only requirement for Saturday was to stay on my feet for not more than 1 hr 45 mins. So, I was shooting for 1hr 30 mins minimum with the 1:45 as the tops. I probably should have taken water with me, but I didn't. I never felt the bonk I have had from low sugar or lack of fluids on other occasions. What I did feel was a 1/2 mile up the hill I just didn't feel like running. So, I didn't, I walked a few minutes. Than I ran, then I walked, then I ran. Finally to the point where it was a little flat. Then ran until I hit the time mark. Then walked about a quarter mile to the car.

No joint discomfort on Saturday, just muscle fatigue. After about 64 ounces of fluid, I was still three pounds lighter than when I weighed myself the week before (214 on Saturday, my Clydesdale status could become an issue by next June). I woke up Sunday with some muscle pain, and an interesting stiffness in my left ankle. I hadn't had this since college. This is the ankle I broke in 9th grade. It bothered me on and off for about 6 years, then has felt fine. Again today it was real stiff. Once I get going it feels fine and pain is not how I would define any sensation in it, Just stiff. Interesting.

After, tonight's run I will have run 46 km (28.5 miles for you American runners) this week. By far my biggest week ever. Next week 35 km and the week after about another 35 km. I could see how this program might make me faster, if I can still walk at the end of it. It only has three rest days out of 21.

Next week I get to do a FARTLEK. Which appears to be an undefined distance run, but you must do "10K pace" time runs between lighter run. Example 5 min pace then 1 min easy, repeat 3X.

I was talking to guy one time, where they did this like a race, but staggered. The lead guy was called the Hare. He ran a defined course following certain rules. The people behind were staggered started and chase him based on their ability (essentially best 10K time). The goal was for the foxes to catch the Hare. The real goal was to have everyone finish at the same time at the finish. I am not positive of all the rules, but it was designed to give the runners a break from their routine and mimic the FARTLEK.

Final note, after my big workout Saturday, I still have no desire to go out hard today, and I didn't feel like doing it yesterday, but the program is telling me to do it tomorrow.

3 comments:

catmarlson said...

Awesome week! Of course I went and counted up how many miles I ran. (16). I had the Buffalo Trip which took 2 days out of my schedule.
I ran in Buffalo on Saturday. I'm with you it was plenty hot and that doesn't make it very enjoyable.
Keep at it. Losing the ability to compete in the clydesdale division is a good thing right?

SJV said...

You are a running fool. I sure hope this does something to your run time. If it doesn't, that will be kind of discouraging. Sheesh, you are running about 4 times as far as me in a week. Don't worry about losing the Clydesdale ranking. I will hold it up for you. But heck, you still have a ways to go. Just eat a big bowl of pasta before the weigh-in. Put a rock in your shorts. You'll be okay. Keep it up, my good man.

CSquared said...

As Shawn says I have a ways to go on the Clydesdale status, but it would be a good thing.

Ankle stiffness not a factor this morning. My legs still felt fatigued last night during the run. I look forward to my "quality" run tonight. OHHH!