Friday, September 28, 2007

Cold, Runny Nose

Tough to run when you can't breath and are dead tired. I ended up with a cold Wednesday. It is killing my program. I squeezed in a run Tuesday after an all day training event in Pittsburgh. I was beat that night, but thought, I'm busy and woke up earlier than usual. Wednesday, I sneezed all day and felt tired when I got home. I did not work out hoping to avoid anything worse. Thursday, it was full blown. Stuffed up nose, groggy feeling, and tired all day.

So, no training last night either. I did go to sleep at 8:40 and never moved until the alarm went off at 5:15. I feel much better, but my nose is running. The program said if you miss a day do not make it up, so I am not going to. Today is a rest day, so I am going to rest. I will pick up the workouts tomorrow.

My real question is how important is the rest. When I get sick, my body forces me to get 8+ hours of sleep, which is rare, the sleep as well as the sick part. Why am I not doing it all the time? A study shown on the news two nights ago, said people who don't get enough sleep (whatever that is) are twice as likely to die of a heart attack. Could this go for cancer as well? I am a 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 hours a night sleeper. I feel better when on rare occasions I get 8 for a week solid. I tried to track it one time for a month. I did no better than 56 hrs of sleep in a week (8hr average per night) and I was trying. Most of the time I am below 50.

I just wonder how much better in shape I would become by sleeping right. Also, I am convinced the weight may come off quicker too. Just some thoughts. I always evaluate my bad habits when I'm sick. I always say if I didn't eat this way or got more sleep, I wouldn't have gotten sick.

1 comment:

catmarlson said...

That is very frustrating.
I think I'm going to throw the Zicam zinc stuff into my backpack. Then hope I remember to take it if I feel like something is going down.

Once it's through you, you will be right back on track.
I've read that Under trained and over rested is better than the reverse. (not that you are over training).