Thursday, March 1, 2007

Update

I am still elipting and biking in the gym at work. It seems to be going pretty well. I also just received confirmation that the spinning class I signed up for is going to happen. Still no start date yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Also, shoulder is still giving me fits. PT has yielded little progress. I have regained a lot of strength, but no relief of the impingement. The doc says to continue PT through July-ish. Because the MRI ruled out a tear, If there is still ino improvement, then he recommends a subacromial decompression procedure.

In my case, the impingement is caused by a hooked shape acromian, which is the top of the scapula and is the roof of the shoulder socket. The xray shows where the tip of the acromian is riding the ball of my shoulder joint, causing a thickness in the bone (shows up as a shiny white spot) and irritation with the rotator cuff tendon. A decompression consists of going in and cutting off the tip of the bone to enlarge the passageway. From what I have been able to find out, it isn't as bad as it sounds. It is an outpatient procedure, and most patients are back to full strength and range of motion in 6 weeks or less.

I am still in no hurry to be cut on, but if PT doesn't work out, it doesn't seem to be too horrible an option to consider. Until then, swimming is still out of the question, so I will continue with the bike and eliptical.

1 comment:

catmarlson said...

Chiropractor.... my MRI showed that I had a disc extrusion. The Neurosurgeon said I'd have to have it cut off or out to ever feel better again.
Obviously they were wrong.
I went to the chriropractor because I really didn't want to be cut. I didn't really expect to get the results I did. It's worth going even if you have to pay a few bucks. Heck I'd have gone to an acupuncturist next. What's the worst that could happen.

Hope you get some relief soon.