Monday, March 26, 2007

Pause?

We've taken a brief respite from the blogging, it appears. Just to keep it going, I'll post something. Today I walked a mile carrying the 20-pound dumbbells. I walk about 3 miles an hour, so this took almost exactly 20 minutes. Now, admittedly, a 20-minute mile is not something that is going to strike fear in the hearts of my competitors, but I do what I can. While walking, I do curls, overhead presses, triceps raises and other such things just to keep it exiting, but I never set the dumbbells down. That's my rule for this exercise. This is about holding onto a 20-pound hunk of steel in each hand for 20 minutes, while walking. Very simple.

After that, I did some kettlebell style arm swings until I was unable to safely perform them. These actually provide a better aerobic workout than the walking, but I like the muscular durability that the 20-minute-long carry affords. When I started, 10-minute walks with the dumbbells were pretty difficult, so I must be getting stronger, but looking like a Spartan is going to require a calorie cut for me, which is something I have trouble doing for long periods of time. Our semester is more than half over now, so the stress is really ramping up and the deadlines are coming fast, consequently my eating tends to suffer. I'm hopin that when May hits, it will feel like a weight has been lifted and I can really make progress with the weight. Assuming I stay on top of the workouts, I should have a good Spartan body underneath the fat that is just waiting to be revealed.

1 comment:

CSquared said...

Here is a link to Amazon.com for Kettlebell, if anyone is interested in getting Shawn one. WOW, not cheap. You know my Dad's got a box of tools and knows how to weld and is retired. He could start now and maybe have one made for all of us for Christmas. My mom is always trying to talk him into making gifts for people rather than buying.

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Door-P10A-Russian-Kettlebell/dp/B000CIE7BS/ref=sr_1_1/102-7305710-9967343?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1175092443&sr=1-1