Thursday, March 15, 2007

More Tango Questions

I read the updated Tango website. Here are the questions that remain for me: What is the definition of canoe? If people have long, sleek, ocean-racing canoes and we have an old aluminum fishing canoe, that would not be a very even match. I went looking online, and what people call canoes seems to vary widely. Are there rules about foils, keels, and rudders? Foot braces? What are the rules about paddles? Can we use two-ended paddles? Are there square-inch limits on the paddling surface? In one picture on the site, people have double-ended paddles. But in "real" canoe races (http://www.ohcra.com/molokaihoe/racerules.htm --This is what a rules page should look like!), you can't use doubles. Can the same canoe be used for the safety canoe in the swim as in the canoe portion of the race? How do we transport them if that is the case? Is there a map available of this course? That might help answer some of those questions. Any size limits on the swim fins? I would love to show up with 4-foot long fins and see if anyone says anything.

The two-person complete teams require both people to each do all the events. If two of us chose to do that, what are the rules about separating? Do you wait at the beginning of each leg (if you choose to separate), or are you required to be basically near each other all the time? Can you tie each other together? (So in the swimming section, Craig could water-ski on a rope tied to my waist). Initially, I thought the two-person complete was a two-man relay. I was mistaken. That makes it much harder.

I wonder what kind of competitors are in this thing. Are they like us, or are they hardened race nuts who train all the time and are gearheads to boot?

Anyway...just wondering.

2 comments:

CSquared said...

I don't know if I can answer all those questions, but I might answer one. Volunteering at triathlons and doing one myself, what I saw was you get the race nuts, but most of them are from out of town. Then you get the locals, some are hardcore, some are only doing it because it is something to do in their back yard.

Another question I'll answer just because I am pretty sure about this, is that the two man team can seperate, but has to come back together for the events that require two people, so seperating does not seem wise due to the fact you need to be together for the orienteering and the canoe ride, plus you can draft on the bike. I have heard of races that have the canoe as the beginning then you are on your own or they take a combined time, but this one appears to force you to come together at the end for the canoe trip.

Also, the canoe thing is probably any open canoe, no riggers, and I bet a standard paddle, no kayak style paddles, but maybe they don't care. Now the size of the paddle is probably whatever you are willing to pay for.

My question would be not about the canoe but the bike, can you use a road bike or cyclocross instead of a mountain bike since it is on a non-technical course, sure it is probably dirt, but it is still a road?

SJV said...

Looks like you can use any bike to me. The route is supposed to be non-technical forest service roads, so if you are comfortable with your tires in gravel and dirt, I say go for it.

Based on the level of technical support this event has, I am kinda assuming it's not really tight with the rules. So my giant fins and paddle are all good. Finally I get to show the world the first human self-powered full body breach!