Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Running Outside

Felt good to get outside yesterday. Ran three miles. Took it easy on my legs by running 9 minutes, walk 1 minute. Did this cycle three times. I do not have a heart rate monitor, but wanted to check my heart rate to see what it was doing. You guys got me interested.

I took it for 10 seconds and then multiplied it by 6. I could only take it when I was walking, tried to do first 10 seconds of walk, hence three intervals. 1st walk - 136 BPM (first 9 minute run started slow and built up) 2nd walk 156 BPM, kept higher pace whole 9 min. run. 3rd walk 168 BPM - really picked up pace last 2/10's of this run.

By no means did I feel I was truly redlining, even though last run burned bad. I have never taken during a race or test day. I assume by feeling, it could be 20 or 30 beats faster than high number above. I believe these seem like reasonable numbers.

Started a book by Eric Harr, Triathlon Training in Four Hours a Week. The books subtitle says "from Beginner to Finish Line in Six Weeks". He has a whole plan to take you from Couch Potato to finishing your first sprint tri in this six week period. He then has three other six week plans based on your fitness level. I have chosen to start with the one above beginner. My Rocky Gap triathlon is in twelve weeks, so I do the 2nd level the first six weeks, reset and do the 3rd level the next six weeks. Walla, I do a nice finish.

Also, I am reading a book called Total Immersion. Strictly a swimming book. I plan to really work on my swimming this year. This book talks a lot about being long, and slippery in the water. Also, talks about making your body like the hull of a sailboat rather than like a tugboat. Looks like it is a work smart exercise rather than just working harder.

Saw an infomercial this morning, thought of Shawn. It was called Power 90. Claims you can look like an out of shape dope, and in 90 days you look like a Greek God (or Spartan Warrior) I believe the claim was six days a week, 40 minutes a day. The said in and out of the gym in an hour (if you shower quick). Most of the people they showed were our age to 10 years older than us. Quite impressive results. They almost had me picking the phone up to call.

3 comments:

catmarlson said...

Have you been able to download the Rocky Gap Registration form on the YMCA website? It seems to be a dead link. I've sent an email and no response.
How about the 1/4 mile swim? Are you going to have a wetsuit?

CSquared said...

No, I checked two days ago and had trouble with the link. Thought I would give them a chance to fix. I know a couple guys who did it last year, and they were going to do it this year. I will see if they had any luck.

I am definately wearing a wetsuit. I am looking to buy one over Ebay. I keep bidding and getting out bid. I may choose a cheaper model, new, as a starter suit.

CSquared said...

Buddy sent me a link for the brochure. Still looking for Application.

http://www.cumberla ndymca.org/ Brochuretriath07 .htm