Saturday, March 31, 2007

More new training ideas

This week, I developed some new training techniques, none of which will help me win a triathlon, but all of which will help with the Spartan physique. First, I had a pile of logs on the side of my house from when the borough cut down a tree down the block. I had carried these home earlier in the year and piled them next to the house (for our fireplace). This week, I decided they didn't look good there, so I had to move them. They weigh between 30 and 115 pounds (I weighed the biggest and smallest today just to see what I was dealing with). I have noticed that a 115 pound piece of a tree feels much heavier than a 100-pound plate at the gym. Obviously there are no handles, and the shape is just downright unwieldy. So that was a pretty good workout just getting them to my back yard. No tools (like a wheelbarrow) were allowed for this exercise. Then, since I have always wanted to do the caber toss, I took the small log (30 pounds) and started throwing it as far as I could. Now I know the caber toss is all about flipping accuracy, not distance, but you nonetheless have to be able to put some muscle behind the pole if it's going to flip. I threw this log several different ways, including like a shot put, and up over my head backwards. It makes a very satisfying thud when it hits the ground. I also just threw it straight up and tried to catch it. It's kind of like a solid wood, cylindrical medicine ball, with a flaky, scratchy surface.

Well, I learned today that those high intensity movements definitely worked some new muscle groups. Yes, indeedy. The log toss is going into my regular cycle of heavy activity.

I also did the mountain-stone grip routine that was demonstrated in one of the movies I posted earlier. Fun stuff.

I agree with Craig that this forum of communication is motivating, even though I am not really doing the same things as you (I will eventually, I swear). It is still helpful in the effort of keeping me on track doing some kind of fitness activity.

1 comment:

Ethanol said...

O, to be your neighbor. I've got plenty of logs to move.