Sunday, February 21, 2010

Goin' to Florida

I booked a flight to go visit my dad in Florida for 5 days in March. The weather down there hasn't been all that great this winter. Colder and a ton of rain. I'm hoping that will all change by the time I get there.

My last trip down there was 2008 and there was a local sprint triathlon that I decided to race while I was there. The one where I decided I'd wear my jeans during the bike because it was so cold. (I was on a hybrid bike anyhow).
I wasn't really thinking about racing when I was down there this time, then my dad asked me if there were any events. So I went looking. There is an Olympic distance race about 90 minutes away on Sunday morning. I'm not sure it's going to work out but I'll consider it. I'm going to contact a bike shop down there about renting a bike. I'd prefer not to ride 40k on a hybrid that doesn't fit me very well.

Even if I don't end up racing, it will be fun to be down there. If I were smart I'd get to the driving range a couple times before going. I'm sure we will be out on the course at least once... a day. Haha. No not that often, maybe if I were a better golfer that would be true.

It will definitely be a run focus week in Florida if I don't race. Swimming isn't very convenient and I won't have a bike unless I decide to race. I looked at my run graph from the race 2 years ago. I haven't been charting my runs lately but I'm guessing that chart there would look awfully similar to my 4 mile run today. (without the push at the end) I'm not sure what to make of that. I should probably be further along with my running? Maybe all the NYRR races will get me in speed mode for a change. I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed not to be able to "race" yesterday. There is just something about race day, it just puts me in a different frame of mind. Which is really strange considering I'm not going to make the podium. It's still really fun to be out there.

1 comment:

Mjay said...

WHEN? Jerry and I are flying to Florida on the 27th!