Sunday, February 28, 2010

A first, and probably a last all in the same day!

Indoor Triathlon-Chautauqua, NY

The good news first. I finished as Third Male Overall in a triathlon. Let me repeat that,... I finished Third Male Overall in a triathlon. The format was 15 minutes per event with a 5 minute period for transition. 5 people went at a time. The event was then calculated by mileage,... straight up: no multiplier for any of the events. That seems to work great for a person that doesn't swim well. I finished with almost 8.4 miles, and 5th of 50+ people and teams. One woman was .15 ahead of me and one team finished ahead of me.

Swim- I planned to swim 1/4 mile and then quit and rest to hammer the other parts. Well, the pool was more like a pond and I had a hard time adjusting and getting used to an open water swim ( at least the murkiness was like that) when in a pool. I struggled the first 100-150 yards and was anxious and couldn't get my breathing down. I finally got in a rhythm and did "ok" and stopped with 450 yards in. I asked if I could get out if I was done, and they weren't sure so they said I had to stay int he pool until the 15 min was done. So I tacked on another 50 yards and then stood there for 1.5 minutes to collect myself. Total 500 yards

Bike- For this event, my plan was simple, pedal at the fastest speed/resistance that I could sustain for 15 minutes. I was pretty confident based on my trainer that I could do 5.5 miles. However, this was on a recumbent bike. Since it was only 15 minutes, I was able to pedal between 20 and 24.4 mph for the duration with much of my time being 23-24 mph. Total- 5.88 miles

Run- Of course, my favorite! After getting off the bike, my quads were tight, my backside sore and my legs twitching. However, my plan was to go over 2 miles if I could. I hopped on and immediately cranked it up to 9.3mph ( somewhere under 6:40 per mile). I stayed there for about 4 minutes and realized 15 minutes at this pace will not happen. So, I dialed it back to 9.0 and varied spurts as slow as 8.7 up to as fast as 9.2 miles her hour for the remainder. Total 2.2 and change for the hundredths.

It was fun, but not really reinforcing for the swim especially when considering a half iron.........

All this just after turning the big 40! Ugh. I'm sure this doesn't give me anything on the USA triathlon, but it was cool to place overall.

3 comments:

catmarlson said...

3rd! Very nice. Would that be 1st in your age group? (Happy B'day BTW)

So you knocked down 300yd straight? That had to feel good. (or not, ha!)

Great bike and run. Take those times to the half iron!

Good award?

GC said...

Congrats Jim! that's great!

murky water, huh? sounds like our pool in NJ! ha! Seems to me you are well on your way to that half-iron.

Happy Belated B-day! pay no attention to 40...it's only a number.

Jim said...

Oddly enough the 1st two guys were my age or older I believe. But, with no repeating of awards, the all got overall awards. Marty won the age group without swimming at all. He did 7.6 miles.

Got a certificate and an insulated water bottle. Small prizes, small race. Well organized and run by a very nice group of people.