Friday, February 19, 2010

Low Fuel

It was a long day yesterday. Started out swimming at 6AM with Maija.
500m warmup.
2x150m race pace.
6x100 on 1:40. Which meant I'd get about one breath before I had to start again. After the 2nd one I was on 1:45.
100m easy
12x50 on :50. Again almost no break for me I ended up doing mostly :55's
100m easy.
Then I had to catch my train.
I don't think I've pushed myself to try and make intervals like that in quite awhile. It may not have been my best swimming technique but it was fun.

At lunch I went up to the NYRR office to pick up race numbers. I was in and out of the NYRR office in less than 5 minutes. The trip on the subway from 23rd street to 89th street is something I'm not looking forward to doing 7 more times. Yes I took the Subway from Brooklyn to Manhattan for 6-7 years, but as impressive as the NYC subway system is, I don't miss it.

After work, I figured I had better run, seeing how I haven't done that much lately. I ran 5k. I didn't take my watch or HR monitor. I just wanted to focus on perceived effort/feel more than anything. I was hoping to get some speedwork in, but my legs were in disagreement. I took about a 30 min break, and then I hopped on the bike. This is where I really got to feel just how shot my legs were. I ended up just spinning somewhat easy for 30 minutes.
I'd guess half of my weakness is from the diet. Meaning my lack of calories. The weight is dropping, which is good, but I'll admit when I'm having a weak training session, I wonder if it's worth it. I'm sure it is though. I've dropped 8 pounds and I'm still not to my average weight from last summer (ugh!) and I'd like to try and be lighter than that. Power to weight ratio!

Today is an off day, from training, not the diet. I'll be curious to find out how well the legs are recovered for Saturday morning's race. It looks like I'll be going it alone. I'm hopeful that I manage a good race morning and am able to push hard. I think it would be a good measure of where I am and help me get my run training plan put together.

1 comment:

GC said...

I think yesterday was the first day in months that we did all of our workouts separate from each other...strange.