Monday, April 6, 2009

Weekend Update

Saturday we planned on doing a 50 mile ride. It sounded like it would be a good challenge. So I rescheduled my Saturday morning run to be Sunday and it was all set.
Trouble was when we woke up on Saturday, it was very very windy about 50 degrees and a chance of rain. I’m not sure it’s smart to try your first 50 mile ride in those conditions. So we ended up canceling the bike ride.
What should we do then? How about going back to sleep for another 2 hours! I don’t think you can go very wrong with that decision. We both had a busy week and next week isn’t going to be any easier.
I think I mentioned having done some work on the VW Golf the other week. I had hoped that the transmission code was kind of a fluke thing. Well after about 1000 miles the light was back on again. So back to Auto Zone I go hoping it’s just a glow plug error. No such luck, transmission…. So now I’m back to making decisions about the cars. Fun times.
It’s getting late in the day and I haven’t done anything for a workout. So I decide a swim would be good. This would be the 4th swim of the week and I followed the workouts from the book at each of them. The kick sets became ck and but that’s nothing new. I’m swimming beside a girl that’s on the high school swim team which was a constant reminder that swimming is largely technique. So I worked hard at staying focused and aware of my form the entire time. I’m starting to think that even if I don’t get out of the water any faster this year at the triathlons, I’m definitely going to be less fatigued. Harder effort doesn’t always translate to faster with swimming. I just have to remember that during the race.
I then went home. Hopped on the bike trainer for about 20 minutes, then stretched myself out.

Sunday: 13.1 miles of hill running. I finished the run feeling really good. Although running down hill is still my biggest concern in terms of hurting myself. I’ve made a point of taking time to ice down following these long runs. Today would be no different. Only it was… I got home and went to walk down to the basement and my right knee wanted no part of going down stairs. Up was less of a pain but something was wrong.
So Ice and Anti Inflammatories was the plan the rest of the morning.
It’s strange to me. There is no pain if you poke around at the knee or anything like that. Basically stairs are the problem.
Of course it’s still a beautiful day out and Genine wants to go for a bike ride. I have no idea how that will feel but I decide I’ll probably find out in a big hurry whether it’s a good idea or not.
We end up riding about 20 miles. I got a flat on the way back and of course everyone is stopping to ask if we need anything. Then this one guy says, I’m a bike tech, I could get you going in a hurry. I tell him that’s okay. He says he could show us all the “tricks” to getting it done right. Basically he won’t take no for an answer it seems. So I let him take over, why not right? Always good to see a pro do the work. Other than that the ride was uneventful, I don’t think my knee was any worse off.
The chiropractors typically say that knee problems either stem from the hip or from the foot so I started to try and figure that out. It would seem my right foot is jammed or something. I can make it “pop” as I move it around. I’m guessing I’ve found the problem and I’ll see about getting it adjusted today. I fully expect I might not be running this week. Obviously, I’m hoping it wont be longer than that.

No comments: