Friday, April 17, 2009

Core work

Well I am on my way to building core strength.  Three weeks ago I started a program to do a 100 push ups in one continuous set.  It is suppose to be a six week program.  The 100 push up test is suppose to occur May 3.  This was actually only 5 weeks, but my initial test was high enough that I jumped to week 2.  I do push ups three nights a week.  Last night I did 5 sets (20, 25, 20, 20, 30).  I was suppose to rest 90 seconds in between.  I think I was suffering from running earlier in the day, because set three did me in, I then rested almost 4 minutes before set 4.  The program says 90 seconds or more if needed.  I don't know if 4 minutes was what they had in mind.

So this week I will do almost 350 push ups, next week 480, final week 650.  The first week I did less than 200.  The amazing thing is that I read an article where Herschel Walker does 1,500 a day, still, on top of his 2,000 situps, and 1,000 dips/chinups.

http://www.usatriathlon.org/event/event/359  This is a link to the Collegiate National Championship.  A group is going from WVU.  The one guy I know.  His name is Noah Brak.  I met him at Rocky Gap two years ago.  His swimming was not great then, but I saw his running has improved, he already was speedy.  A local 10k race he burned off a 35:36 (2nd place overall).  He then turned around the next week and won a 5k with a 17:43.  Second place was a minute behind him.  So, I am cheering for him to do well.  I think he gets behind and tries to catch up on the run, so we will see how he does.  Matt, you might have met him in Morgantown.

Have a good weekend.  Warm weather.  Biking is going to be fun.

2 comments:

catmarlson said...

I was trying to hold onto Noah on the Morgantown bike last year. That's when my chain dropped....
He's got the right build for triathlon.

Good work with the push ups. Once you hit your goal set a new one. We kind of let our push up plan fade away recently. Wish that I hadn't, my default excuse is, "only so much time in a day".

CSquared said...

The funny thing is that running and biking has become the "only so much time in a day" activities that get cut for me, I can feel my own suffering already.

The push ups have become the must do, but a couple nights I have stared at the floor thinking I don't want to do this. I know it is a good thing, but it hurts.

It amazes me how much training can remain a mental issue. Just do it.