Monday, February 9, 2009

Skiing my Booty off

Did a ski race yesterday.  5km at Laurel Ridge State Park.  I did the classic style race, by the looks of my skis I was classic.

How did I do?  I was dead last (second in my age group).  That is right dead last.  Of course if you know me by now, there is a "Story".

Last x-country ski race I did was 21 years ago.  The skis and boots I used then, I used yesterday.  You may not even thought, "What happens to Yugoslavian boot glue over a 20 year period?".  I will tell you, it fails.
It was a interval start, 2 people every 30 seconds.  About 20+ people.  I think there was three pairs behind the guy I went with (who was the only person I knew at the race).  It was up hill to start.  Within 3 minutes I had passed three people.  Then we went downhill, three people passed me.  I worked to pass two of them, then the next down hill, three pass me.   Just before the 2km mark I hear a loud click from my right ski.  I think ice is stuck on my heel.  The skis started to perform really bad on the downhills and flats.  I went down what would be the biggest hill.  Almost didn't make the turn at the bottom.  Realize at this point my shoe is separating from the sole.  And now my left ski is making the same clicking noise.  More people pass me.  I just cannot glide on the flats.

The last big hill, my right boots separates from the sole, the last skier passes me, rather the second to last.  I was past the 3km mark but not to the 4km marker when this happened.  I tried to run carrying my skis and poles in a ski boot missing a sole, one losing a sole, and through 8 inches of slushy snow.  Again, I was dead last, both feet soaked.  Amazingly I was only about 4 mins behind the last guy.  My run/walk must have been about 3/4 of a mile.  
The people putting on the race loved the story.  I am scheduled to go downhill skiing with Maddy this Thursday, I was planning on using my old down hill skis (20 yrs old), I am opting to rent as of today.   

I mentioned to Tamara about how nice it would be to have new x-country ski equipment, my wish has been granted.  She told me before the race, "Oh, they will be impressed on how well you did with this old equipment"  Well I left an impression.


2 comments:

catmarlson said...

There are places here in the city that could fix those shoes for you. They would probably be good for another 20 years.
Just sayin'...

Nice job getting to the finish!

CSquared said...

Just got an email from Dave, the guy I knew at the x-ski race. He said I earned a medal and was mailing it to me. (I left before the medal ceremony)

You show up, you get the medal. The other 30-39 males were too warm and comfy in there beds.