Monday, February 9, 2009

Running, Trapeze, More running, Photo Editing

Saturday Morning: 11 degrees, 11 miles of hills.
It’s kind of funny. The last few weeks I have been a whiner and complainer about running in the cold. I’ve also felt that I’ve been really dragging in terms of speed/power. Well here I was driving to our longest run of 09 and I was up and ready to knock it out. Fortunately there was almost no wind, otherwise I’m not sure we would have made 2 miles. As it was we had to keep telling ourselves that we just had to get the first 3 miles in, then we’d be warmed up and rollin’. About 5-6 miles in we stop to eat a GU. They were so cold they were kind of like taffy. Definitely the first time I’ve felt like I had to chew to get one of those down and it was good to get the extra boost from it. We got through our planned course for the day, 1220 ft of ascent 8:20 average pace.
Not bad considering I could feel my eyelashes icing at times and Todd had a 1.5” long icicle hanging off the back of his hat.
I went back into the Y right after the run and hopped in the pool for a few 100’s. The Tango swim came to mind. Not enough food/energy and dead legs. It was a recovery swim, 15-20 minutes and my legs felt much better getting out of the pool than they did going in. Fortunately, the showers were not freezing after the swim.

Sunday: We take the 8:30 train into the city for Genine’s Trapeze Lesson. Genine did really well and had a ton of fun. I got to play around with the camera in a tough lighting environment for photos. I was disappointed with the majority of the shots but was glad that by the end I had found a good setting and got some good shots of Genine being caught by the instructor.

We got home around 5 and I was kind of feeling like I needed to do something. It was still in the 40’s outside so I decided I’d go out for a 4 mile run. Genine was running with me but she was really feeling her Saturday workouts with Esther and Tiffany. I on the other hand was feeling really good and said I was probably going to turn this into a 6 mile run. So she took off on her run course and I ran down to the ballpark. It was nice to stretch the legs back out after yesterday’s long run. I started to question whether 6 miles was a good idea considering I haven’t been running much lately, but everything felt great.
Oddly enough, my average pace was 8:20 again. Avg HR was 157 whereas during the hills run it was 163.
We then worked on editing the almost 800 pictures I took at her trapeze lesson and got those posted to Facebook and Flickr. Then it was time do ABS. Day 7 of the abs workout and finally I posted more points than Genine. She was exhausted. So while I crunched she just chilled out on the floor beside me for moral support. She should have said she was practicing “corpse pose” for our yoga class. Ha ha!

So now it’s Monday morning, my legs were feeling really good up until I started walking to the train. As always my hip flexors are feeling a bit tweaked. I was supposed to bike this morning but opted for sleep, it could have been a good warm up.. ah well. Hoping I didn’t make a mistake by running last night. Guess I’ll find out soon enough.

No comments: