Monday, February 2, 2009

Frugal Gourmet

Well just like last year, my first few weeks of the diet haven’t been awesome. There has been some progress but I’m not really feeling like I’m making enough of a change to take me to the next level. I decided to look at last year to see if I could figure out what I did that worked so well.

The number one thing is probably is the food tracking. Last year I was probably getting 90% of my days into the journal. So far this year I’m only about 50%. Obviously, I need to be more disciplined about my tracking. It’s easy, I’m just being lazy.

After a couple weeks of tracking last year, I realized that I had to make a move away from some calorie dense foods. (Cheese, butter, salad dressing…) Once I did that the volumetric style eating really helped me.
Well I don’t feel I have too many bad foods to remove from my diet this year, instead I think I’ve got to modify a couple eating habits. My lunch during the week I refer to it as the “Monster Salad”. Honestly it’s probably too big and it’s definitely too expensive. Instead of having my monster salad for lunch, I’ll be bringing food from home. Portions will be more reasonable as will the impact on the monthly budget. The Monster Salad will become the evening meal more often now and will likely be less “monster”.

Then there are my snacks. I’ve become lazy here, I’ve been packing various Cliff bars because they are convenient. But when it comes right down to it, they are candy bars. Fruit has to replace Cliff bars unless I am going to workout within the hour.

Often I’ll get busy with something and not eat on schedule. Then when it comes time to eat, I eat too much because I’m so hungry. Also I will often eat way too quickly, I need to take my time, even when I’m hungry. I’ve got to let the stomach and brain have time to tell me that I’ve had enough.

Hopefully theses tweaks will help.

PS: Yes I ate way too much yesterday during the Superbowl Festivities.

3 comments:

m said...

Esther and I may do a girls night this weekend where we get together and make healthy meals for the week. Maybe Genine wants to come. If you dress up like a girl and sing Spice girls and Britney you can come along too.

CSquared said...

Frugal, refers to both cost and quantity.
I can't tell you how much I ate during the Super Bowl, I know it was way too much, not necessarily quantity but fat content of the food consumed. Good news is I had one root beer, otherwise water or lemonade. Had a Steelers Smiley Cookie from Eat n' Park.

catmarlson said...

"make healthy meals for the week. Maybe Genine wants to come."

Do you suppose Genine could show up without having made a batch of cookies or something for you two? Which would kind of defeat the purpose I suppose...

"one root beer, otherwise water or lemonade"

I have to admit the basement fridge is a Beer Smorgasbord and it was nice to have a day to enjoy that.