Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Another busy weekend

I’m feeling pretty good about things right now. The last few days of training have been very positive.
Friday night at the pool, that was not the case. If Genine were not there with me, I probably would have been out of the pool in 15 minutes. Fortunately that is unusual for me. I was back to normal the next morning.

Saturday morning Maija joined Todd and I for our 6AM run. We ran her prescribed workout rather than doing hills, which was a good change for us. We ran in her zone 1 or 2 for 1:05:00 then we ran in her upper zone 3 for 15 minutes? Then cooled down for maybe another 5 or 10 minutes. I think we were just shy of 11 miles. I felt really good at the finish, which I suppose is how you should feel after a low zone workout. I think I haven’t acknowledged the fact that I can actually run 10-11 miles and not be wiped out physically. When I think half marathon, I still think of my injury following the Brooklyn run and what a mess I was nutritionally at the end of the Tango run. Don’t get me wrong, I was pleased with the results of both of those events but these things are in the mix as well.
Genine went Aqua Jogging and IntenSati with Esther. When she got home the French Toast was waiting for her.

Mmmmmmmmmm.

Genine and I then met up with Esther and Maija at the pool at 1PM.
I was surprised at how well the workout was going. Typically after these long runs I’m kind of done for the day. (maybe it was the French Toast CarbLoad?). Esther wanted to do Abs following the swim. I did a couple of planks but I knew if I did much more than that, it would probably become a negative return. My legs just love to cramp up on me after I swim. Even when I’m just trying to stretch them out, it’s probably fatigue but maybe the cold water has something to do with it as well. Not a big deal, it’s way better than it was when I first started swimming a couple years ago.

With our workouts done and out of the way, we moved on to our belated Valentine’s date. I had made reservations at Il Pomodoro, a restaurant we’ve wanted to try for a long time. It was quite good. I think we were there for over 2 hours. We will go there again, there was more on the menu that I wanted to try!

I had picked up Genine’s favorite cake from a bakery in town after the run this morning. It’s a flourless chocolate cake from “The Dessert Plate”. We had planned on eating some cake at home while waiting to go to watch Slumdog Millionaire but Genine was zonked. So we watched “No Country for Old Men” at home instead. Well I did anyhow. Genine didn’t make it 10 minutes into the movie. Ha ha!

Sunday we met Esther at the pool at 9. She was doing her own thing though because she had 7000m planned. Genine and I were going to work on drills. We were only there an hour. It was enough. Time to go home and make more French toast!! Another carb load to get through the day’s chores. We made split pea soup, grilled chicken and stir-fry. Then I finally got a quick 5 mile run in (38:22). There were some icy spots so I really had to watch carefully. Definitely would have been smarter to run when it was still light out.

Monday morning I got about 1:15:00 in on the bike trainer. I made sure to check my zones before starting and tried to hang in the middle of zone 2. (140bpm). My bike meter is not working again so I don’t know speeds or distances. I did have cadence but I just stuck with HR Training. The meter I think is another broken wire. I’m not doing very well soldering this thing I guess. Ah well, my software is also not available because the PC side of my Mac has crashed and I haven’t spent the time to figure out what to do about that. Hopefully it’s something easy and that I don’t lose the last year of information from my watch. (not the end of the world if I do).

Then the evening Masters Swimming class, as promised we got to spend 90 minutes working on balance drills. It’s working on stuff like this that makes me realize how tough it is to do something differently. Even with our coach suggesting what to differently, there is a lot of trial and error going on and falling back into the familiar (which we know is wrong) is just too easy. So I’m feeling like I want to spend more time in the pool again. I’m not sure how to make that happen just yet. As you all know, there is only so much time in a day.

6 comments:

m said...

I like Il Pomodoro but I always get cold there in the winter. Have you you noticed how most of the seats are so close to the door and the wind always blows in when people come in? The food is good. Hope you guys had a good time!

GC said...

Have you been there since the remodel has been complete? It is beautiful! We were upstairs on the second floor next to the fireplace, so it was nice & warm. The food was AMAZING....as was my date! ;-)

SJV said...

Dude, you do more in a weekend than I do in a month.

And that may be literally true for the last two months. I tried to ride the bike yesterday, and after 5 minutes, I got a phone call telling me to go pick up the kid who was going to skip volleyball. That was the end of that.

I rode my bike to class tonight. I haven't swum in over a month. I did pick up some heavy things this week. That's about it.

GC said...

Hey- maybe riding your bike to work is the way to go for you. I think Rachael Ross reported on her blog that she gets in 40-50 commuter miles weekly on her bike.

m said...

I haven't been recently...maybe I need to go!

esther said...

sounds like a fun weekend w/ lots of good food! was nice to see you both!